• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69' 200a

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

considering purchase. looking for any info, parts source, value, etc... I've owned 3 02's this is the first time i've considered the 4 door and I can't seem to find any info. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Carl Nelson has new and used parts for these cars, he's at La Jolla Independent; "bimmerdoc.com", 800-466-8184. Wallothnesch, in Germany, also carry a lot of new parts for these cars, "wallothnesch.com", nice guys there too (Albrecht and Alexander)., also, post any parts you may need on the Neue Klasse board ( roadfly, E-09), some good sources there as well, good idea to e-mail Bob Kauffman (tilux@aol.com) as he can direct you also, can add you to the "Neue Range Register", a listing of people with Neue Klasse cars, many that have parts as well; good luck,

Tim

'74 2002

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.thedotcommune.com/NK/index.html

Some good info on the link below. Also, there is a Neue Klasse forum on Roadfly. Not much activity there, but most of the nk people check in from time to time. Many of the parts for the nk cars (1500-2000) are available but some items will take some serious digging. Definitely not as easy as owning an 02 but you won't see 20 of them at the next club meet either. Take your time and find out what you're getting into before you buy. Good luck!

Karl

'65 1800TI & a couple 02s

Guest Anonymous

Definitely within a week, trying to get to a clutch problem. The pedal is fine at one time and then it's hard as a rock to press in, Mark has rebuilt the master cylinder with the internals of a new 2002 clutch master he's had for awhile, system has been bled and we do have a new slave cylinder if needed, he also put in a correct throwout bearing, told me there was a wrong throwout bearing when he got to the clutch, also, that the bleed oriface was full of debris/caca! The engine is super, runs really nice, nice and quiet too with the new oe exhaust system. Should be over the next week Karl, possibly this weekend although Mark's had a terrible bout with hayfever and won't get to the car again until the weekend. Did you take delivery yet of the 1600?

Tim.

Guest Anonymous

Hope you get it sorted out soon. You might check that everything is bolted together and lined up correctly. Could be just something with a little wiggle that doesn't line up properly sometimes. Hopefully, its something simple. Glad to hear that the engine work turned out well.

The 1600 was delivered on Monday. I bought a new battery and got it running on Tuesday. Runs like crap but I took it for a quick spin around the block anyway. Hopefully, a tune-up will sort out most of the running issues. Looks like its going to clean up well and be a decent driver. The color, Maisgelb (according to the PO), is really interesting. I was planning on having it painted Florida but I'm really starting to like this yellow. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Its nice having an early sunroof 02 again.

Cheers!

Karl

Guest Anonymous

The 2002s were a spin off of the bigger car. Less weight and size makes the 02 much sportier. Still, I like the 2000,s and related. For body stuff you may have difficulty, but mechanical from 02 will quite often fit, esp. if you are willing to adapt them. I would assume that any later car part that can be adapted to a 2002 can easily fit in the larger engine bay of a 2000. The early gearboxes and diffs were different, but like the early 1600/2002's. Sometimes a little thinking helps, and it REALLY helps to physically compare parts, not part numbers. Example, years ago I needed 2000 4dr rear whell cylinders, which were no longer available, and rebuilding German hydraulics is a very short term fix, as they soon leak. A new 2002 wheel cylinder was exact fit EXCEPT the bleed screw was angled differently. 5 minutes with a Dremel grinder changed the notch in the backing plate, and all was well. Some things, like single master cylinders, might be best upgraded to a dual m/c anyway. BMW seem to interchange parts for years and years, although they don't always make it easy to discover. Value? You could probably restore an old fiver more easily, and get the big six, air, and etc. A Neu klass car is just not good, investment wise. But, I like them, and the parts interchange w/other BMW's (even if kept secret) beats the heck out of buying an old Citroen, etc. where there is NO likely interchange. The judgement call would be keep stock or upgrade w/318 injection, 4 speed auto, etc. And, most BMW owners don't know the car, so you would be a little bit exclusive. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

I'm on my 3rd NK now, so here goes...

The most important factor when considering an NK is, just like an '02, RUST! Unlike an '02, however, practically no new body parts are available. Place to look are the trailing edges of the fron fenders, rocker panels, rear shock towers and under the bumper on the nose. If the car is solid, it is worth considering.

As has been said here, mechanicals were widely shared with the 2002. I rate brakes as the most important item of concern when reviving any old car. Being a 1969, brakes will be of the dual circuit style and should be readily available.

Being a 2000A means single solex carb, not going to be the most lively vehicle. Early BMW Automatics worry me, but I have no actual experience with them.

Electrics on 2000's are all 12V and probably mostly '02 shared.

Suspension is mostly '02, the notable exception is shocks and struts.

A surprising amount of upholstery is available for these cars.

The people that I know with NK's are unfailingly helpful and totally dedicated. They are a wonderful support group.

I have a '67 2000ti that I am reviving and my best advice is don't pay a lot of money, avoid rust buckets and buy it if you want to. Like the man said, you won't see 20 of them at every show.

Guest Anonymous

I owned a '67 2000, it's a nice car. Compared to the 2002, it's a cruiser. If it has nice interior, you would be in luck. Without spending a fortune the only source for interiors is from parts cars. The engine bay is larger than 2002 so there is room to do other things. As mentioned already, don't expect it to appreciate in value. Carl Nelson is a good person to call.

Guest Anonymous

...keep me informed! I just might need another 02 in the stable (not like I have a friggin garage anyway, but still).

mmm MCS is luscious :b...

Guest Anonymous

Just like the 'no haggle' dealers, you can buy any of my vintage BMWs for 5 grand. Take your pick:

'73 2002tii - malaga, solid, needs a little tlc

'70 1600-2 - maisgelb, sunroof, still has CA tags

'65 1800TI - various flavors of white, aesthetically challenged & needs serious TLC

Let's just say that some are worth $5k and some aren't. But after 6 months of my time and effort to acquire the 1600, its not leaving without a struggle (or a big pile of greenbacks)! It probably wouldn't fetch enough $$$ to be worth the hassle of selling. But you'll be the first to know if I change my mind.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the MCS. Keep rollin'

Karl