• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Clock Repair Revelations

After many years of thinking about it, forgetting about it, and procrastinating, I finally attacked the job of repairing my clock.

Before I started I read all the threads and how-to documents on the FAQ.

It was a good idea, as I never thought to remove the seatbelt/buzzer sign on the top of the dash.  Removing the consol and glovebox was definitely required.  I don’t have small hands so the job caused a bit of cursing.

Once the clock was out of the car, it was pretty straight forward, although none of the tutorials answered questions about soldering and filing contact points.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to reconnect the fuse points.  One tutorial promoted using a piece of wire between eyelets.  All other tutorials just said “re-solder the fuse”.  On closer inspection I FINALLY understood how the original configuration was.  The two eyelets are held TOGETHER by solder and when it melts (shorts) one of the terminals springs to the side breaking the contact, and is left sitting where we see it upon inspection.

I aligned the two eyelets, shimmed to keep them in line, soldered, and removed the shim.  Now they are attached.

post-38825-0-69092900-1394825371_thumb.j 

Cleaning the contacts requires a very small file or something, so I devised a mini-file by putting double sided tape on the tip of a slim screwdriver and attaching 220grit wet/dry sandpaper.   Worked like a charm.

post-38825-0-59575300-1394825460_thumb.j

I used compressed air at this point to remove any dust/debris.

I bought an “oil pen” from an electronics parts store.  They call it “instrument oil”. And the pen is like a syringe where a tiny bead of oil comes out the tip.  Perfect for delicate clocks.  I put a tiny bead of oil on all pivot points. 

The moment of truth.  I connected the power and the actuator (that’s what I’ll call it) opened the contacts (CLUNK)and the clock started ticking.  1 minute 50 seconds later the points closed, and the process started again.  EUREKA!  12 hours later it’s still running and keeping great time.

More cursing and it’s back in the dash.

post-38825-0-08248100-1394825499_thumb.j

Love the sounds it makes, tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick CLUNK tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick CLUNK tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick CLUNK tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick CLUNK

Ah, vintage nostalgia.

• Like 3

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I wonder if placing a diode across the power terminals to absorb the reverse emf and suppress the arcing at the contacts like is done on relays would prolong the life of the contacts.  This clock obviously has a power coil to reload the spring (the thunk).

Arcing on a thermo fan setup using the e21 switch in the radiator will soon burn out the switch without the diode across the coil of the relay.

I don't have one of these clocks and so I am not troubled with it's troubles, but this thought came to mind.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Prying the bezel off is not pretty.  I started at the bottom with a fine screwdriver and worked my way up both sides until I could get the bottom edge up and over the lip.  When I put it back together I flattened (rebent) the rough edge with a flat piece of metal.  It doesn't show with the roughness at the bottom and because of the plastic collar that hold the clock.  I resisted as well, but in the end it's not ugly.

JimK- If I was electronically savvy, I might agree.  I watched the contacts under a magnifying glass and didn't really see any arcing.  I'm going to presume that I'll get lots of years out of this fix.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

For some reason I find the tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick klunk reassuring. Sometimes it's the little things. :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Fo

I know!  It's that perpetual "I'm working, don't worry about me" sound. 

When the car sits in the garage you can hear it outside the car.  CLUNK

I only now remember the sound in my first tii 30 years ago.  Since I've had this car, 24 years, the clock has never worked.  It is very satisfying to have it working now.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I am one of the other Tii owners who has posted about fixing the clock.  Since I'm also a retired EE, I considered adding a diode across the coil but didn't really think it would help much.  These contacts carry very, very little current (they only activate the coil momentarily) and therefore arcing is minimal.

The fuse melts when the points stick and current flows continuously.  For this reason, it is important to use a low melting point solder.  You definitely want the solder to melt before the coil.

As far as getting access to remove the clock, I found that taking out the center console and passenger seat made it much easier.  I was able to lay on the floor and see what I was reaching up to remove.

- Dave

Dave A.

'72 2002Tii

'74 Alfa Spider

I repaired the early style tii clocks on both my tii's and I'm almost afraid to say anything, but they've been ticking along for many years now...like 10 yrs for "Hugo" (which actually has a ti clock...with silver bezel), and 15+ yrs for "Atlantik".  Nothing sounds better that hearing them reset in the garage when all is quiet! :-)  Hugo's clock is noticably quieter though.

Edited by 02fanatic

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Because of the difficulty of actually removing the clock, I've never bothered to fix mine, and I long ago removed the fuse.

So I have the greatest admiration for those of you who have actually worked up the energy to tackle the problem and overcome the obstacles to fix yours, or like Eric, getting ready to.  You guys are awesome !!

Cheers,

Carl

OriginalOwner,  It is SO worth it to fix the clock.  One of the more satisfying DIYs.  You get to listen to it tick and reset, reminding you of a job well done.

It's raining pretty hard here right now, but by Tuesday I plan to take my clock, I mean my car, for a long drive.

What time is it? Oh yeah, the time is right on the dash!

Call me crazy. My wife does.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I enjoy the sound of the old tii clock when I take the car off the Battery Tender and connect the negative battery cable so I can hear that "tick,tick,clunk" sound again.  I cannot wait until driving weather improves around here.

Older picture of my car before I bought it..

interior.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Does anyone know if this method would work for the dash clock in an automatic?  FYI, it's not in the center of the dash like a tii, but in the far right of the gauge cluster where the tachometer would be in a manual.  I've been meaning to get my clock working ever since I bought the car, but I've only seen tutorials on tii clocks.  In an ideal world I'd like to know if this method would work with my mine before I pull it out of the dashboard.  The clock in an automatic is a VDO, by the way.  

Thanks!