ricortes

Commiseration?

14 posts / 1037 viewsLast Reply

Relax, all right...

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

It appears that car's been there for awhile.  Looks like the dash is un-cracked--at least what is visible--where cracks often are.  Probably some good stuff to be had from the car--or graft a new roof and replace the hood...easy job!

mike

...and in other news tonight, see why authorities are warning drivers why its a bad idea to run your cars into trees. Megan..., I'll send it back to you.

post-37254-0-87484500-1392256673_thumb.j

I'm actually ok with this on a couple of levels. There's a lot of 'Well, I had planned on replacing the windshield gasket anyway' coupled with 'That was my new hood and I just put new windshield wipers on.' Kind of stunned hilarity. I'll probably just bend out the sheet metal and get a new windshield. :) Damn tree hit it so hard, it broke the turn indicators on both sides and popped out the head lights.

It was a runner/beater, not so much now. Pondering if I should turn it in for insurance. It was an awfully big tree, compare the Ford Bronco for size. In hindsight, I wish I would have parked the BMW under the Bronco.

Edited by ricortes

Put something like a block of wood underneath the floorboards for support and use a porta power between the floor and the roof to straighten it to squareish again. Small chance you could damage the floor in the process if you don't support it enough. That, a bit of duct tape, bondo, and some primer will have it lookin like brand new. Sorta. That does suck though. Seeing injured old cars hurts in a way kinda.

A really good argument for carrying comprehensive insurance on your 2002.  Comp coverage is usually very inexpensive for an older car, even non-deductible...

And I'll bet you could straighten the roof out at least somewhat with a portapower and a 4x4, shimmed with 2x4s to span door sill to door sill and resting atop the tunnel housing.  But grafting on another roof would be a lot less work if you're gonna drive the car again with a windshield!

mike

Find an 02 sunroof clip then cut the A, B, & C pillars and weld on your sunroof clip and now you've now got a 02 with a factory sunroof.  Just route the rear sunroof hoses to come out over the tires instead of the rocker panels.  Been there, done that on one of my former 02's. That's back when I had a complete 02 parts car and the 02 that I had at the time had a minor accident and needed some body work. That's when I decided to take the sawzall to my parts car. After cutting the panel, I had a body shop weld in the sunroof clip and the other body panel from the accident. I had no regrets, living in So Cal at the time, my sunroof was open most of the time that I drove it.  I agree with Mike, comprehensive insurance is cheap piece of mind.

G-Man