• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever used West System epoxy + additives as body fille

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got a lifetime supply of west system epoxy to do some carbon fiber work (look for some '02 stuff for sale soon) and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with their system. I know that you mix the epoxy with one of a few different kinds of filler and its properties change. This stuff is designed and sold for use on boats, but i'm thinking it could work for cars, too. they sell a couple different filler densities and styles (high and low density, fairing and such, like the different flavors of bondo), and i'm thinking that one or more of them could be really awesome as a bondo replacement. bondo is generally polyester, and epoxy is better than it in every way as far as i know, so is there a problem with using some of this stuff as body filler on cars?

Anyone tried? they say it'll bond to metal and works with most paints...

Matt

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

for cars too. Life-time supply! I miss all the great gifts/prizes. Very versatile system and Gugeon(sp) brothers literature very helpful. I have west system outside in storage - never considered using it on the cars... hmmm, should be better than Bondo. Cant beat the epoxy for strength. I have built or replaced some pretty essential stuff with West epoxy and all still holding together and working. Good luck and congrats on the life-time supply( how about some.....)

Guest Anonymous

I work at West marine... we have the most generous associate discount program i've ever heard of, it's crazy. So that's what got me the lifetime supply. If it turns out i'm not crazy, it would be pretty sweet. I'll buy some filler and give it a shot.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

After some filler work I did on my 02 (used Evercoat RAGE Gold, which by all accounts is a great body filler and easy to work with)..all I can say is that working with hardened filler, sanding is a BITCH. I can't even imagine how much of a pain it would be using epoxy. The only place I would use it would be on non-exterior surfaces, where you don't really have to get the surface perfect.

Maybe post the question on www.autobodystore.com and see what the experts have to say on it. Worth a shot, right?

just my 2.5l cents :)

Matt

'72 02/m20

ps my latest pet peeve is referring to body filler as 'bondo'. Which everyone does...but 'Bondo' is actualy a brand name. So 'body filler' is the more correct term. Kinda like calling snowmobiles 'SkiDoos' (thats for all you Canadians and snow monkeys out there :)

Guest Anonymous

different fillers give the stuff different characteristics. There are light and heavy fillers and one is sold specifically for fairing... IE easy to sand. anyway, I'll try it out and get back to y'all in a week or so. the heavy fillers are made to be used as adhesives and structural stuff.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

Heh, my friend works at West Marine so I buy all the parts I can there, they get cost + 10%. The way it should be.

Anyways, another guy that works at our WM store is a professional boatbuilder, and he swears by the West System even before he started working there. It's good stuff I guess. Perhaps on a fiberglass car it would be a good idea, but I think with the 2002's you might as well stick to traditional methods.

Heh, my friends name who works at the store is Matt as well...

-Patrick

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

dumb.... me: i musta dropped a few large before anyone told me about the program with the rebate checks. now i get 10 dollar check/coupons all the time. slowed down with West after refit 3 years ago, started to watch bank account dip due to 02 stuff. I do need some gucci blocks and shackles though.....

Guest Anonymous

Seems like you'll be taking much longer to get results. Beware the fumes and dust, too. A common complaint among amateur boatbuilders is epoxy sensitization, they develop an allergy to it.

Guest Anonymous

and the cashier will love you (special incentives + minimums) WM is a great place to work, but i could never afford to shop here.

Matt

always pimping WM stuff