• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: what is the horrific blasphemey factor on Rotary (terb

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got done helping my friend build his rotary... learned an assload about them... extremely simple engine.. fuckin monkeys could build it... simpler than a sb 350 chevy.. only knock on them is any detonation will kill the apex seals.. yes the slightest ping will kill it.. and when those seals go.. then the rotor housings get screwed instantly.. then you need new seals and housings.. oh btw spark plugs are $6 each ;) really funny lookin... you will get around 100k out of a 250HP rotary.. you will get about 3k out of a 450hp rotary.. hence why everyone makes fun of them.. the whole "tick tick boom" thing... it's not like people build them wrong.. clearance them wrong.. honestly they're simple as can be.. it's just their very fragile and you will need an aftermarket efi system for them... as well as two coils and two msd boxes ;)

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a hell of an idea.I recently installed a 13B turbo into a gen3 RX7.Converted from twin turbo to a single turbo with a hugh hot section and a fairly sizable compressor.Long story short after all the twicks made several dyno runs, 450hp,and the car hauls ass.Go for it and good luck.

Guest Anonymous

A friend of mine put an MGB engine into a '65 Datsun pickup truck, and not only did it bolt in, it fit the transmission! Looks like Datsun was doing a little reverse engineering back then...And the MGB engine was a big improvement over the orignal 1200 pushrod Datsun motor...

Mike

Also once saw a Corvair engine in a Renault 4CV--went like stink too!

Guest Anonymous

Local drag racers have been installing rotaries into old Datsun 1200's here for over 15 years. A neighbor of mine did one and it looked pretty straightforwatd. The engine is bolted to the chassis by means of a plate that goes almost in front of the "block", as it were.

Some of those cars have been converted to tube chassis by now and are running 1/4 miles in the low 8 second range!

Guest Anonymous

How about a small block Chevy in just about anything...

914 Porsche

Chevy Vega

Chevette

Porsche 928

Corvair

VW bug

-or-

If you like risk-taking...

a small block Chevy in a Fiero. (Fire system recommended.)

BTW, the Olds Quad-four is a bolt-swap in a Fiero. The factory parts are expensive, but compared to the 1988 V6 models, there is more low end torque and a higher redline with the Quad-four.

I'll keep my car stock, thank you.

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

Guest Anonymous

...powered by a 1,710 cubic inch Allison V12 aircraft engine built by "Big Jim" Lytle in the 1960s.

Big Jim was notorious for stuffing that engine into anything he could find, including various commercial vehicles (like a cabover semitractor) and a 1934 Ford with the top chopped so much you couldn't see inside it.

I wish I had a pic to show you...it was Tooooo Much!

Delia