Mike_B

'64 1800Ti Barn Find - Update!

53 posts / 9543 viewsLast Reply

Looks great Mike. May have asked before, but what color?

Looks like Rey doesn't mess around with packing!

I'm really waffling between Polaris and Derby. It was originally Polaris, but so many cars are silver these days and I feel the two stage silvers these days might look too "modern". Derby has a nice vintage look, so I'm torn.

I plan on chemically stripping the large flat surfaces of the car opposed to blasting to avoid the potential of warping the panels. I picked up some "Aircraft" paint stripper, which based on the reviews on the various forums, worked well for taking off multiple layers of paint down to bare metal.

I started with the hood. I lauded it out on a tarp and spread the stripper on the hood and let it work it's magic. It worked pretty well with some stubborn paint left at the end. You could actually hear the paint pulling away from the surface, weird.

I washed the hood down to remove any excess stripper and proceeded to DA the hood with 80 grit and wiped it down with some ospho. It should be protected for a while when I work on the other parts.

post-35377-0-39439700-1401661581_thumb.j

post-35377-0-73474300-1401661635_thumb.j

post-35377-0-28407400-1401661652_thumb.j

• Like 1

I vote derby, but then I'm biased. Did you make a start in removing the rear panel from the trunk? Had a vague idea/pipe dream of replacing the skin with fibre glass onto a race-TISA style frame, but I think it could take forever to get right, and forever is a long time.

DSC_0076.jpg

Gotta love body work eh Mike  :)   Looking nice

Nice's car is nice, got to see it in person in 2011       I vote Derby too!

Nick, your car is the reason why I'm thinking Derby.  I think it will look pretty sweet with silver TiSA wheels and Oxblood interior.

I did look at the trunk lid to see how I would approach it...  There are a ton of spot welds and seams to unfold, but it can be done.  I just didn't want to undertake the effort when something clean was available.  I'd find a spare and start drilling out the welds, you know, in your free time. ;-)

Mike, I enjoy the body work, but boy is it time consuming!

Nick, your car is the reason why I'm thinking Derby.  I think it will look pretty sweet with silver TiSA wheels and Oxblood interior.

sounds good

Just wanted to say I love this build. That motor is going to scream! I'd love to build something like that some day.

Awesome build for an AWESOME car!

And +1 for Derby with that wheel/interior combo. Would turn heads for sure.

very jealous of your engine - I've got an evo crank sitting on the shelf, but no block, and no budget at the moment. Strange to think that in a few years time there may be two 2.5 litre derby grey NKs in the World!

Mike how is it going with he build? My black car is almost complete ! Finally.

Looks like you are making some good progress.

Keep us posted.

Rey

I'm a BMW zombie and there's no cure.

3 1/2 years later and twice selling and backing out due to sellers remorse, an update!

I’ve finally had some time to dive in again and start working on the ‘64 1800Ti.  Finished up the sheet metal repairs on the interior and moved to exterior.

There is still a long path ahead...  The rear panel will need to be replaced.  It is too bent up for me to make straight and I have a factory spare.  The front door bottoms will also need patching.  

At least I know where all the problems are and nothing is hidden by paint anymore.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

• Like 2