Mike_B

'64 1800Ti Barn Find - Update!

53 posts / 9609 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Vince - any update on your latest project?

Edit - I swear I am using the Quote button correctly.  I'm blaming it on Internet Explorer.

Edited by jgerock

Mike that's a good battery choice. I use them same one in my cars and it has never failed me.

Mike

Your car is coming along nicely. I still have your trunk lid. I will get it shipped out to you very soon. I also have some other stuff for you as well to go with it.

I will email you!! Looking good brother NK owner!!

Rey

Thanks Rey! The 95mm CP pistons are on there way to the engine builder and the heart will be assembled soon.

I'm finishing up the nose fitment and it should be welded up soon.

Pistons are at the builder and they are getting ready to assembly the bottom end.  The head is just about buttoned up...

Head2.jpg

head3.jpg

head4.jpg

Head.jpg

S14 Crank is micropolished and ready for action.  It's the one on the right.  I didn't think the extra effort of knife-edging was necessary for a street car.

Crank.jpeg

I hope to spend some time finishing up the nose piece this weekend.  The weather has finally turned here in the Chicago area and it's supposed to be above 70F tomorrow and I've been anticipating some time in the garage for quite a while...

(edited)

The bottom end is getting buttoned up.  Big bore baby!  It should move the 1800Ti along quite nicely...

95mm+block.jpg

95mm+block+%25282%2529.jpg

95mm+block+%25283%2529.jpg

Edited by Mike_B

(edited)

Beautiful! And what is your anticipated compression ratio? I also noticed you are using an E21, 2.0 head. Is that a hot tip or merely incidental to the engine build?

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

The CP pistons were spec'd at 10.5:1.  We were just looking for the newest head available as the newer heads seem to be a better casting, and it turned out to be an E21 head... No hot tip as far as I know.  The head is port-matched with IE HD rocker arms, locks, Schrick HD valve springs, SS +1 oversize valves, Ti retainers, IE 304 cam and adjustable cam gear.

The goal was to replicate Norm's old 2000C engine and I think we will be pretty close.

Edited by Mike_B

It's a little bit M10 and a little bit S14...   :)

Yes, it is ARP hardware on the bottom end (head studs as well) and they require 12-pt sockets.  

The original trunk lid on the Ti had a dent in a very unfortunate place and I would have had to remove the skin from the frame in order to make the repair.  Huge effort.

In steps Rey to save the day!  Here comes a trunk lid from CA

2014-05-15.jpg

Big thanks to my NK brother on the west coast!

I made some more progress today. But first I received a nice steering wheel I won on EBay. It's a 390mm Nardi. I wish I could find a TiSA wheel at a reasonable price, but the Nardi should look pretty nice. The trunk lid and spare fender also arrived from Rey in the GIANT shipping crate and made the journey intact. I unpacked the trunk lid for a test and it's going to work out great.

Since I was in the test fitting mood, I mounted the front fenders to check the gaps with the new nose clamped into place. Gaps looked nice, so I took the plunge and welded the nose in place. It went pretty well, but if I were to do it again, I would make my punched holes (for the rosette welds) way smaller. Given that the flange was vertical it was a bit difficult to make a pretty weld, at least for me... Next time I spot weld, nothing bigger than 1/8th and I'll just make more welds.

All in all, it was a productive day and now I can move on the stripping and prepping for paint!

post-35377-0-89162700-1401318967_thumb.j

post-35377-0-04455800-1401318999_thumb.j

post-35377-0-25460200-1401319030_thumb.j

post-35377-0-91126100-1401319050_thumb.j

post-35377-0-75050300-1401319071_thumb.j