• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston Scuffing

Parkertii

How much "scuffing" is acceptable for a set of pistons? as long as they still measure to the correct spec are they ok? or should they be replaced if they have a decent amount of scuffing present. 

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

Without looking at them and measuring them we can't tell you if they are usable. If the pistons are scuffed what do the bores look like? Take them to a machine shop and ask them, you need to measure them very carefully piston skirts are not round they are slightly oblong and there is a very specific point you need to measure. Basic rule to start is if you can feel a grove with your fingernail it is too deep. How many miles are on the pistons and the bores?

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

the bores are just fine, the pistons came out of a different engine. The reason that i am thinking of using these pistons is because im an idiot, In being a idiot i dropped one of the pistons that i was originally going too use while fixing a previous mistake. Another board member generously provided me with a set of pistons that might be able to be used, but being used they do have some scuffs. Im not trying to be picky but i want to make sure that they are still in good enough shape to use as i dont want to have to pull the motor and rebuild it again in the near future. i'll measure them and make sure to post a picture as well once they are cleaned up tomorrow!

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

I don't use them if there is scuffing that obliterates the barrel marks. (circumferential grooves around the piston)

That's really conservative, I know, but I live under this delusion that I'll never open up the engine again, so the pistons

should be 'as- new'.

Also measure the ring grooves- sometimes they really wear like crazy...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Along the lines of Toby B's post--I'd be much more concerned about ring land (groove) wear than minor/moderate scuffing.  Presuming you're using new rings, I'd check each land with a new ring (insert the ring backwards into its appropriate land and use a feeler gauge to see how much clearance there is between ring and land--check the shop manual for specs.  Sloppy lands will allow the ring to wobble in its land, further enlarging the land until the ring breaks.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite