• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching Numbers Tii

wmcwhorter

Ok so I have seen a lot of posts on here about VIN #s, etc. And well it got me wondering the true value of my '72 Tii and its worth because its not the original color.

Just as verification, are VINs stamped onto the engine block and where? Is it stamped above the bell housing before the transmission? If that is the case then I have a matching #s car!!!

How hard is it to fabricate a VIN on an engine? Acid etching, VIN stamp kits, etc.

Since I have gotten the car I have wanted to mod it and update the interior for a more modern feel (almost complete), tasteful of course.

And YES, I want to do an engine swap but now I am more hesitant because of its possible value and may just want to beef up the engine, distributerless ignition, adding turbo, etc. say like what Mano Agulian did on this 02 but with say a bit more boost get it up say 175 whp

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/104/articles/take-two?page=1#.Us1nQ7SwVqI

post-45679-0-39604500-1389193350_thumb.j

post-45679-0-94512700-1389193360_thumb.j

any modification that is not easily reversed will likely decrease the value of your 72tii.  swaybars, shocks and such, excepted.  Interior and seat changes, probably so in most cases.  unless done to high standards and adhering to a Teutonic sense of understatement. 

save the Turbo, monster engine mods/swaps for the squaretails or other carbed  variants if value is important to you on your particular tii

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

"Interior and seat changes, probably so in most cases.  unless done to high standards and adhering to a Teutonic sense of understatement." E21 recaros upfront and E24 rear seats ok?! Newer carpets, modern stereo, update to already installed aftermarket AC unit, Alpina steering wheel, shorted ebrake handle, dash repaired, black alcantara headliner. THIS is my DD other than my motorcycles.

The only "questionable" upgrades that I see listed are the headliner and rear seat change.  Most people will use the absence of the proper snakeskin headliner and wrong rear seat as a point to reduce the sales price. I mean this in no way to argue that these upgrades are at all "wrong" I just think that you should seek to keep the car as close to stock as possible or at lease easily reversible.

The matching number 72-73 Tii is obviously on the upswing as far as value.

Just my $.02  :D Everyone will have an opinion.

Ben in SC

vin numbers should be the same on trim panel tag in front of steering wheel, stamped into the flat on engine casting just behind starter and body panel just behind vin tag in engine compartment. if the engine was replaced by a factory engine (different serial number stamping on a factory replacement engine) there is some way to trace it but i'm not certain how to do it unless the paperwork is with the car. Also, I was watching chasing classic cars recently and conn dmv was checking vins, vin tags titles etc at an auction and were questioning certain vin tags that had been removed during restoration and replaced using non factory rivets. that's getting picky but actually protects the buyer from potentially purchasing a stolen car (in this case the auction house announced the dmv inspections and informed the audience if a car was not as adverted the purchaser could return it.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I'll take the risk with the 6 series rear seats and headliner.

This guy got away with 35k on his, minus the sunroof on mine.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/07/26/bat-exclusive-1973-bmw-2002tii-sunroof/

Let's assume this seller actually got $35K for his. I have no knowledge otherwise. It is a resto-mod, not a restoration, in my opinion. And well done resto-moded cars have real value to them if the decisions made are high-end, well-executed, and tasteful. Someone buying a resto-moded 2002 for $35K puts a much lower premium, perhaps none at all, on matters of strict originality, such as matching numbers. Someone interested in strict originality -- on the other hand, and probably including me -- would simply not buy a $35K resto-moded example.

You are clearly not happy with the original car and wish to "improve" it. That's not only your prerogative, but also understandable: cars have come a long way in 40 years. So do whatever you wish to your car but....my recommendation...save the original short block (long block and transmission, if you can). This would at least provide a buyer with the option of returning the car to its original numbers-matching state.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yes Kris sold it! Give him crap about it too! Something is going on up north. BLUNT now Kris? They need to be separated. And if he ONLY got that, he got a low price. His car was one of the finest most tastefully built cars I have seen in years.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Let's assume this seller actually got $35K for his. I have no knowledge otherwise. It is a resto-mod, not a restoration, in my opinion. And well done resto-moded cars have real value to them if the decisions made are high-end, well-executed, and tasteful. Someone buying a resto-moded 2002 for $35K puts a much lower premium, perhaps none at all, on matters of strict originality, such as matching numbers. Someone interested in strict originality -- on the other hand, and probably including me -- would simply not buy a $35K resto-moded example.

You are clearly not happy with the original car and wish to "improve" it. That's not only your prerogative, but also understandable: cars have come a long way in 40 years. So do whatever you wish to your car but....my recommendation...save the original short block (long block and transmission, if you can). This would at least provide a buyer with the option of returning the car to its original numbers-matching state.

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks Steve, now you understand where I am coming from. I am wanting to resto-mod. My full intent was to crate the TII motor and store it. I have been reading posts on m42 builds and much of it looks to be plug n play, ie no cutting of tranny tunnel, etc.... My current tranny will work with the m42 and the mods to upgrading radiator and the fuel seem to be just upgrades.

Edited by wmcwhorter

Personally, I'd never do what your contemplating to a tii. There are too many square tails/non tii cars available that you could buy as a ready replacement.

None of my business, but why the heck did you buy a tii if you don't really want a tii?

I love the look of the roundies and well when I bought my Tii it was the only available one in good enough shape for what I was willing to spend. I have always loved the 02s since I was a kid and it was not until like I said that I knew how much the car would or could be worth. Look I havent had the car on the road in over 2 months and before that it was only 2 months in possesion. I dont plan on touching the engine anytime soon, I want to drive her it bit more before making a decision to do any engine swap. If I can boost the hp on the existing engine without a lot of work then great considering it is my daily driver. Engine matches the frame and chassy VIN.