• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2014 Calling All Drivers

M3M3

I was too late for the intermediate class, it's sold out, so I signed up for the novice.  Last time out at Summit Point I was in intermediate and kept up fine, but novice will be good too.  If there's a no show I'll see if I can move up.

I have to bleed my brakes this weekend or next and change the oil.  Anybody want to pump the brake pedal?  I have Yuengling.   

we had a blast.  dropped my PB in the #7 car again.  the #2 car is what we are using for 13hr enduro at end of october at VIR..we are looking for volunteer crew members!!

my trailer...aka the locker room...supporting 4 of the drivers..

2014-08-31_17-22-42_648.jpg

2014-08-31_17-22-52_381.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

we had a blast.  dropped my PB in the #7 car again.  the #2 car is what we are using for 13hr enduro at end of october at VIR..we are looking for volunteer crew members!!

my trailer...aka the locker room...supporting 4 of the drivers..

2014-08-31_17-22-42_648.jpg

2014-08-31_17-22-52_381.jpg

Looks like a nice (hot) weekend of racing. Count me in on VIR for the enduro.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

will be fun Jim!

Peter...here is a few laps in an e30 at summit from yesterday for reference on the line.  unfortunately a trailing arm dropped out of adjustment on third lap ending my race.  40 cars in race, 4 in front of me when i dropped out. an E36 M3 was the only car in front of me in my class.

2xM3

There seems to be a debate over the line into turn 5 (??? First left hander into the technical section) and what sets you up better for the exit. I've had two instructors tell me different things for the entry to that turn. The first had me taking a line similar to the Miata in front of you in the video- later apex. The second had me take your line- pretty much dive bomb the corner, hug the inside, and track out just about half way to set up for the long right hander.

The late apex line seemed a little more understandable to me.

Any thoughts on that sequence of turns?

There seems to be a debate over the line into turn 5 (??? First left hander into the technical section) and what sets you up better for the exit. I've had two instructors tell me different things for the entry to that turn. The first had me taking a line similar to the Miata in front of you in the video- later apex. The second had me take your line- pretty much dive bomb the corner, hug the inside, and track out just about half way to set up for the long right hander.

The late apex line seemed a little more understandable to me.

Any thoughts on that sequence of turns?

turn 5 is a type 3 turn.  it is a "throwaway" as it is at the end of a long straight and it does not lead to another one.  exit speed is irrelevant.  it is all about maximizing the speed on the straight before the turn.  if you carry real speed through T4, the entrance to T5 is the track out from T4.   if you can make a traditional entry into T5, you were not going fast enough through T4.

T5 also leads to T6, which is a type 1 turn.  it leads to the longest acceleration zone on the track.  the exit of T5 is sacrificed in order to get a perfect setup for the apex of T6.

only very light cars with fat slicks and great brakes can get away with the line that miata was taking.  (that was an F production car...) I only teach that line to racers with a car to do it.  all others should be on the line that i take.

at the competition level, if you take the line the miata did with a car behind you, you will be left in the dust.  the car behind can easily outbrake and take the apex away on the inside.  the miata was not in my racing class so he and I don't make risky moves on each other.

all tracks should be analyzed to prioritize the straights and categorize the turns.  with that info you can determine what to optimize and what to sacrifice.

i am fairly sure lap 2 in that video is the lap record for an ITS class E30 at 1:25.49.  lap 3 was 0.02 second slower....

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

i see you are only registered for saturday peter.  i may be able to have you as a student.

hey Jim...you coming out?  run the tii or work a corner...work three days, get a school day for free!

anyone else joining us? Grice?

2xM3

I'm all set.  New rotors and Hawk pads. flushed the system and put in ATE TPE200.  The same as Super Blue from what I've read just without the dye.  

Marshall, will you guys be heading out Friday night?  I'll probably be leaving Old Town around 4 AM to beat the Saturday morning rush, I didn't bother getting a hotel for the one day.

• 4 weeks later...

There's one more event for the year! (season?)  November 7-9th at the Jefferson Circuit.  If I can get the funds together, Ill be there!  Anyone else?

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/november-2014-summit-point-jefferson-circuit-hpde-bmw-cca-national-429762#.VC2I_vldUnW

The last one was great.  We had two rainy sessions in the AM, and once Marshall's rain tent went up, the sun came out and we had two great dry sessions in the PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3rtw04VHc

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors