• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Bumper Polish Question

Napes

With the big bumpers on the late '02s has anyone tried this product: Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish?  

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/marine-31-metal-polish.html

It would only work on bumpers that have had the anodizing buffed out, as the bumpers on both of our '02s have.  If you've used it I'd be interested in your review of the product.

In the past I've been using both Flitz and Semichrome, but this looked like an interesting product.

Bob Napier

On a related subject, I'm having the anodization removed and and the bumpers polished but the shop can't clear coat. My question is whether they should be clear coated or not? I read an earlier comment by Bob Napier, that he did not clear coat his.

Thanks. -Raine

On a related subject, I'm having the anodization removed and and the bumpers polished but the shop can't clear coat. My question is whether they should be clear coated or not? I read an earlier comment by Bob Napier, that he did not clear coat his.

Thanks. -Raine

I wouldn't do it (apply a clear coat) if it were my car.  I'm presuming you keep your car in the garage most of the time anyway.

Can you pm me where you got your bumpers polished?  I'm considering polishing my sunroof pieces myself but am curious about local places.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I just sent this to another member of this board a few minutes ago:

Regarding our annodized bumpers, what we've had done on both our cars is have the annodize buffed out at a professional shop across the line in Mexico, where they have few, if any, EPA-type restrictions. Living right on the border allows us this kind of access. Cost about 7 yrs. ago for both the front and back on my car was around $75, with Malicha's about $100, 5 yrs ago.

Since then about once a year, or less, I clean the wax off with a good "Wax & Silicone" remover (that does not harm cured paint), rub out the bumper by hand with either Semichrome or Flitz metal polish, then re-wax by hand with One Grand Carnauba Blitz Wax. This keeps our bumpers nice and shiny.

Bob Napier

A few days ago I was passed by car that appeared to be entirely chrome plated. I know this is done with some kind of plastic film.

Worth checking into.

Edited by allbim

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I just sent this to another member of this board a few minutes ago:

Regarding our annodized bumpers, what we've had done on both our cars is have the annodize buffed out at a professional shop across the line in Mexico, where they have few, if any, EPA-type restrictions. Living right on the border allows us this kind of access. Cost about 7 yrs. ago for both the front and back on my car was around $75, with Malicha's about $100, 5 yrs ago.

Since then about once a year, or less, I clean the wax off with a good "Wax & Silicone" remover (that does not harm cured paint), rub out the bumper by hand with either Semichrome or Flitz metal polish, then re-wax by hand with One Grand Carnauba Blitz Wax. This keeps our bumpers nice and shiny.

Bob Napier

Thanks, Bob.

A few days ago I was passed by Car that appeared to entirely chrome plated. I know this i done with some kind of plastic film.

Worth checking into.

It was probably a wrap. There IS a method to do a chrome-like paint, but it's expensive. If it was a Cadillac CTS coupe, then it was a wrap. That guy works at my building.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Yes, it was a Cadillac CTS and I'm amazed that you know about it. Do you know if that process is suitable for bumpers, who does it and what is it called.

Never mind, I just googled "car wrap" and it's everywhere.

Edited by allbim

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Yes, it was a Cadillac CTS and I'm amazed that you know about it. Do you know if that process is suitable for bumpers, who does it and what is it called.

Never mind, I just googled "car wrap" and it's everywhere.

Must be several of these running around.. I've seen one (possibly with DC or MD plates) driving on the Capital Beltway several times...it also has an President Obama picture on the sides. 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

In case anyone is contemplating actually chrome plating aluminum bumpers, CoupeKing restored mine that way.  It looks pretty good from a few feet away but the finish has a few small waves and there are a couple of small chips.  The underside, however, has plenty of irregularities.  I'm not a fan of chrome-plated aluminum.

Thanks Bob and Scott for the photos.  By the way, these were taken at Swap & Show, coming up on 3 May in 2014.

post-38589-0-93075300-1389328971_thumb.j

post-38589-0-27882100-1389328986_thumb.j

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga