Correct Battery For 73 2002Tii?

Clint

I'm looking for the correct battery for a 73 2002tii

• Is 55Ah the correct capacity?
  • Is the tii battery slightly smaller in size than the non-tii battery? If so, why?
  • Is there a suitable OPTIMA brand battery? If so, please advise as to part #.
  • Any additional info or recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've been getting batteries at Walmart because of the warrantee, but Costco is also a good source. I've not tried Optima but I understand they are leak-proof, which is good. You need to be careful about keeping the front terminal away from the bulkhead. 

I believe 26R is the correct type of battery.  Available most anywhere.

The thing to look for to be correct for all 2002s of that year, is the mounting lip ON THE END.  A lot of 26R batteries only have the lip on the sides.

The 73s came with a 2part metal clamp that ONLY fits on the end.  See pic attached.

To properly hold down the battery you need this clamp or a makeshift alternative.

post-38825-0-08659200-1388790514_thumb.j

Huh.  I guess because the brake booster is larger on the tii, that they altered the box.  I thought all the battery details were the same as well.

I ran a larger battery in my car for years before I went back to the 26R.  So much more space with the smaller battery, and with a good or rebuilt starter the smaller battery works just fine.

Archived