• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stanceworks Feature..alpina

jrkoupe

http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/07/the-car-that-started-it-all-the-bmw-1602/

this is the car often brought out at Vintage events across the US when BMW  Motorsport NA shows up...Im not sure how, but Bobby Rahal is very much involved w/ the storing and maintenance of this car. And based on my convos w/ the crew at Lime Rock this past Sept, it seems this car is more like the step child of the bunch and does not get alot of love...

during its race there, it lost 5 th ( irrc) about 2 laps in. It was piloted by Simon Kirkby, lead instructor at Lime Rocks school....and quite a hot shoe. I think he was running 102s there....

Edited by jrkoupe

I've seen that '02 a few times at Lime Rock, very cool car.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

That particular car came out of Vasek Polak's collection that was sold off after his death (nearly 100% sure it is the same car) and acquired by BmW NA and put into their collection.  I know they ran it a few years ago at Monterey (Boris Said).  When Vasek owned it it had a bit of a different pain scheme and AlpinA 3 piece wheels.  Other than that high compression pistons and big cam +45 webers.  BMW NA did something of a cosmetic restoration (including full change to Motorsport livery) and freshened things up, did away with the AlpinA wheels (probably felt they were too old to use in competition any more and changed to the newer BBS.  Great photography as always, too bad very little content about the car or more detailed close ups of the mechanics.  Just for clarity's sake "AC Schnitzer" did not have anything to do with racing, modifying BmW race cars, race car parts etc.,  That entity (AC Schnitzer) wasn't established until the late 80's and essentially makes tuning parts for "modern" BmW's.  Schnitzer Motorsport GmbH are the ones that made the racing parts for the 2oo2's, CSL's and other.

As a matter of fact just back from engine builders today, here is one of Schnitzer Motorsport's products.....the business side of a 20-4 twin cam cylinder head.  Valve job all done, just fitting up the valve train now.....will be posting up all the pictures on my blog later today.....

post-38814-0-50777100-1388698872_thumb.j

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Great photography as always, too bad very little content about the car or more detailed close ups of the mechanics.

Thank you for the kind words in regards to my photography. Sadly this car came at the very end of a long day of shooting the rest of their vintage collection, so I ran out of sunlight before getting to dive under the hood and such for the good mechanic content. As mentioned previously, the team doesn't have a lot of info about this particular car compared to the others. On the other cars in the collection you can dig up their history with a little work, but we weren't able to get much further beyond the information that this one belonged to Polak and was purchased following his death.

It was still running dual 45s when I shot it. It was a rather tame engine bay compared to the others in the stable.

If anyone would like any particular detail shots or anything, I can search through my photos and see if I have any that didn't make their way into the article. Just let me know 

Edited by Rally

STANCE | WORKS

I like your articles.  Honestly, I don't think that there was that much that was "special" about this car.  The BMW NA guys would probably have better idea about past history.  Whatever that history was I believe it was all over here in the states .... Trans AM maybe?  It is a fabulous looking car .... and really dose have a great stance (pardon the pun).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Thank you, I've been an avid fan of your site as well.

BMW NA is who we've been working with but they weren't so sure about this one. Their main focus at the moment is really nailing down and organizing the history of the CSLs and figuring out which one is which amongst all the chassis code swaps.

This little 2002 definitely caught my eye, personally....even when it was surrounded by the other legends in the collection. 

Edited by Rally

STANCE | WORKS

Scanned the article today..as usual, fantastic pictures taken by Klaus Schnitzer  :)   Additional details are included about this car and its restoration by PTG (Prototype Technology Group) workshop in Winchester, VA!

VasekPolek2002timain_zps80e34be1.jpg

VasekPolek2002tipage86_zpsafa605c6.jpg

VasekPolek2002tipage87_zps0ae73424.jpg

VasekPolek2002tipage88_zps801ebb5f.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"