02 Without Bumpers

jimk

I like the no bumper look with a front splitter. I do also think about the safety factor. These are small cars and with no front bumper are IMHO unsafe. It would mean I couldn't text and drive anymore .I think I will keep my huge picnic bench 1975 bumpers for awhile

I like the no bumper look with a front splitter. I do also think about the safety factor. These are small cars and with no front bumper are IMHO unsafe. It would mean I couldn't text and drive anymore .I think I will keep my huge picnic bench 1975 bumpers for awhile

Safety factor from an '02 bumper? what would they keep you safer from? runaway Big Wheels? ha ha I doubt they do much for safety, even your accordion version. I took mine off and molded an air dam on since the bumper was there for looks as far as I could tell. It even lined up with the nose of the hood and wouldn't have even protected that in a fender bender.

For the folks who are concerned about safety of these cars without bumpers--have you driven a modern car?  These old cars are death traps with, or without, bumpers!  I see my car like a motorcycle--fun around town and country roads, but I'm risking my life on the highway.

As said before I also look at the chrome bumpers like jewelry but very nice one! I've seen countless pictures of accidents involving federalized bumpers on euro cars where the car is trashed and the bumpers are still nice and shiny lol. 

All those big bumpers are good for are very slow speed bumping into stuff.

Hehe, I plan on keeping my big bumpers on for daily driving this year. Not really worth the risk of getting a fender bender and writting the 02 off. Euro bumpers are nice, but I like my big 5mph ones for the usefulness of a nice step in the garage or just a place to sit

For the folks who are concerned about safety of these cars without bumpers--have you driven a modern car?  These old cars are death traps with, or without, bumpers!  I see my car like a motorcycle--fun around town and country roads, but I'm risking my life on the highway.

Newer cars only have a molded plastic outer cover with styrofoam and thin sheetmetal "bumper" underneath.  They are designed to absorb any impact. The bumper cover is the first thing that you see on the side of the road after many accidents.   Insurance companies most likely will have them replaced rather than repaired.

Yes, the Roundie bumpers are jewel-like, but at least the USA 73's had better brackets.

I dig the look of the Euro bumpers.  I am currently rebuilding a 69 2002 and putting them on there.

But for a '69, the differences between U.S. and Euro bumpers are modest: the Euro bumper has slightly smaller front bumper guards, seam covers in lieu of rear bumper guards, and license plate lights incorporated into the rear bumper. It's the square taillight models that really separate U.S. from Euro bumpers!

Steve

Archived