• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Frame Rail Reinforcement (Jaymic Style)

COOP

Hello...does anyone have any experience strengthening the front frame rails by boxing them into the bulkhead? I recall reading about this and seeing a picture in the Jaymic 2002 book (they talked about reinforcing the "inner wings") and it looked pretty neat.  I have the engine out of my car and thought this might be a good time to explore such a possibility. I found this picture which I think is similar to the concept that Jaymic was advocating:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?58439-Tig-welding-classic-car-chassis-reinforcement

Would appreciate any info/feedback...

Thanks, COOP

iirc, the McCartney book has a few pics of the flat plate version that was used in convertibles.  have not seen the full box style.

i have wondered about what strength is added by this.  seems like the firewall/wing/frame rail/subrame/strut brace already already provide a solid structure in this area. 

2xM3

Here's another version: I've seen well-worn race cars where the frame rails (and connected floor pans) are pushed 'upward' into the cabin. These efforts would reduce that. As a bonus, the support  will catch some of the hardware or tools which will inevitably drop down into that corner. -KB

post-35761-0-34900000-1387809080_thumb.j

As a bonus, the support  will catch some of the hardware or tools which will inevitably drop down into that corner. -KB

so true!!  it has become standard now to put a paper towel in that spot when ever working on something in the vicinity to block the inevitable!

2xM3

Here is what I did, 16 Ga. Steel, Mig welded, real easy! Mark

Very nice!  I appreciate everyone's feedback.  I didn't think this was a problem area either but figured what the heck since the motor is out. My car is pretty powerful so any added chassis strength would seem to be a positive.  I already have a full cage that ties into the body of the car in a bunch of places, including the firewall.  I also have two front braces, one between the strut towers and a second right behind the radiator...Thanks again, COOP.

Looks interesting, I think I might do that to my car while the M20 swap is going on. Never would have thought to brace there but if the race cars have it, and I'm cutting the car up anyways I may aswell lol

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

Sports Car Restoration did some bracing on my car that is similar to Pigpen's or the convertible reinforcement.  Speaking of pre-Colombian relics, they also found a chicken bone inside the framerail that must have been from the original assembly line.

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3