• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installed Recaros, Seat Belt Question...

max210

After installing the recaros I go to put on the seat belt but it doesn't fit on the E21 latch! I searched here and people suggest to keep the 2002 seat belts mounted to the floor but mine are not. The original seat belts are mounted to the seat. I preferred the shorter e21 latch over the original long cable latch but posts I found here say it isn't as safe.

I tried searching for the E21 tounges but it seems that the entire seat belt system is one part number, anywhere I can get E21 tounges by themselves? Or how do I mount the original seat belt to the floor? I imagine its thin sheet metal and isn't going to hold a lot of force.

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

Welp, it looks the seat belts were upgraded as some point. It does have retractable belts which I thought were original to the car. The latch cable was bolted to pivot bolt of the seat itself.  So I am going to cut a slit on the carpet and bolt them to the tunnel.

When I first saw your picture I going to comment that that position looks too far back but looking at the receiver latch+cable it makes sense.

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

Well, you may be able to use your 320 seats with built in seat belt female receivers. They are as safe as the old 02 chassis. If you look at closely to the factory welded seat belt anchors in a 02, they are no stronger than the 320/Recaro seats! However, the problem is the mounting metal tabs in a 2002 is rather flimsy, that is why fellows rightly questioned about their safety for seat belts.   

As you figured out you need to install matching male buckles/tongues to your webbing to go with the Recaro/320 seats, which will need cutting and stitching of the webbing, don't try that at home. If you want to go that route send me a pm and I will try to help, I have all the seat belts parts for 2002, 320, e30....But, using the original anchors for female buckles/receivers on the tunnel will be the most natural and safety approach especially if you have the longer 2002 female buckles in hand.    

MLytle & Bluedevils, thank you for your advice. The seat belts are retracable Autoflugs (I am not sure if original to the car or not). Like you mentioned, I opted to not use the recaro seat mounted latch. The long cable latch was mounted on the original seat's pivot bolt, which I thought was original. I mounted that same cabled latch to the tunnel, it seems a lot safer this way. One of the original autoflug SAE bolts was still bolted in under the carpet!

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

There are two types of the BMW Recaro adapters for E21. That is because E21 had a facelift in 1978 with which the design of the floor panels and the complete mechanism for moving the seats was changed.

Early E21 had supports whelded to the floor very similar to 02. Slide rails for stock seats also very similar with only the tooth for 02 facing downwards and tooth for E21 facing sidewards. Later E21 had flat floor panels with an E30-like console bolted directly to the floor. With the change in the way of mounting, the stock seats in E21 were modified to the seat belt latch being integrated to the seat. Before also the E21 had latch cables mounted to the tunnel.

Pair of early factory E21 Recaro adapters for one seat for E21 with latch cables - those are best to be used in 02 and were offered for 02 also in 1976 catalogue of the BMW Motorsport:

post-36854-0-64675400-1388316119_thumb.j

Set of late factory E21 Recaro adapters for a pair of seats - provision for mounting the latches had to be integrated in the two adapters facing the tunnel as Recaros at that time weren´t produced with integrated latches:

post-36854-0-49610400-1388316202_thumb.j

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 5 months later...

This thread is a good place to ask for more info. 

I have seats from a 1983 320is, so they have the integrated seat belt mount like the lower picture. 

If I understand correctly, I pop off the sliding rail parts, take off the seat belt receiver, but keep that middle bracket on.  That will allow me to bolt right onto the 2002 sliders.  Is that correct?

Jose