Possible 2002 Owner

AnchorsAweigh

Hi, my name is Justin, I'm in the US Navy and fell in love with 2002s after I stumbled across one when I was stationed in San Diego a few years ago. Currently I DD a bagged GTI. I've been telling myself I'd hold off on buying a 02 until my DD is paid off but now I can't help myself anymore, I've started selling my collection of wheels to help fund a good project car. The current plan is to go period correct with the build. I look forward to lurking on here for tips and getting an idea of what to look for when picking a car.

Justin, as with any vintage car, it's all about rust. Even if you're in San Diego, don't assume a car is rust free.

Recommend you decide on whether you want a roundie (68-73) or a squarie (74-76), set a budget, then, as you say, "lurk" here, Craigslist, eBay to see what your budget will buy, at which point you may need to change your expectations or your budget.

This is a wonderful, open-armed forum, with folks who treasure originality right down to the correct plating on washers, as well as with those who do wild mods.

Welcome.

--Rob Siegel

Justin, as with any vintage car, it's all about rust. Even if you're in San Diego, don't assume a car is rust free.

Recommend you decide on whether you want a roundie (68-73) or a squarie (74-76), set a budget, then, as you say, "lurk" here, Craigslist, eBay to see what your budget will buy, at which point you may need to change your expectations or your budget.

This is a wonderful, open-armed forum, with folks who treasure originality right down to the correct plating on washers, as well as with those who do wild mods.

Welcome.

--Rob Siegel

Or you could do what I did--never considered buying an 02 til one came up for sale on the day I sold my racecar.  It was in my garage the next day.  I've put more thought into buying a pack of gum! 

But seriously, buying from the right person (an enthusiast) is always the best way to go.

Archived