• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repainting Raised Roundel Badge

steaksauce

My 72 currently has a great condition smooth badge on the hood but I've been hunting for a raised one because I felt it should have one. My dad happen to have an extra from his 69 he is redoing. This issue is that I need to repaint the whole thing. Metal is good but the paint is worn. 

I'm wondering if anyone has tackled this as I want to find the oem paint that it should actually have, I don't want to do anything custom or unique. 

I checked out Bavauto and Turner

Another current thread titled new jewelry currently discussing just this, I spray mine black and rub off the raised parts, look great on my Black Beast

Edited by dbmw2002

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Easy way:  mask off the center section, the spray the black outer surround with a spray can.  Before the paint is completely hard, use your fingernail to scrape the paint off the raised 'BMW" letters plus any overspray you got on the inner and outer raised circles.

Go to your local hobby shop and get two bottles of Testors model paint:  white and blue #1111 (I think that's the color, or the number is very close).  With the emblem on a flat surface, thin the paint just a little and dab it on either with a fine brush or a toothpick.  May take more than one coat with the colors, as thinning the paint will make it run to the edges--but also prevent brush marks.  

Let it dry for a day or two, and you're done.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Easy way:  mask off the center section, the spray the black outer surround with a spray can.  Before the paint is completely hard, use your fingernail to scrape the paint off the raised 'BMW" letters plus any overspray you got on the inner and outer raised circles.

Go to your local hobby shop and get two bottles of Testors model paint:  white and blue #1111 (I think that's the color, or the number is very close).  With the emblem on a flat surface, thin the paint just a little and dab it on either with a fine brush or a toothpick.  May take more than one coat with the colors, as thinning the paint will make it run to the edges--but also prevent brush marks.  

Let it dry for a day or two, and you're done.

mike

Thanks! This is what I was looking for, I didn't know if model paint would come close enough or not.

I had grand plans but just bought one from bavauto,  The 76 does not have a rear raised so I plan to engineer one using the existing curved version and marry a front raised to it.  Providing of course "beer brain" works it out correctly.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/146541-new-jewelry/

Edited by Koblenz

I used the model paint but found that I had to lighten the blue with the white to get a better color match.  used a small square end brush to dab the paint into the quarter areas and it leveled out beautifully.  I would consider the overall condition of the car before I "restored" the roundel however, if the car is in average daily driver condition, an unrestored roundel may better suit the car than a "restored" roundel.  however, if all the paint is missing a restoration is likely in order.

Gale

douggaleh at Hotmail dot com

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

My 72 currently has a great condition smooth badge on the hood but I've been hunting for a raised one because I felt it should have one. My dad happen to have an extra from his 69 he is redoing. This issue is that I need to repaint the whole thing. Metal is good but the paint is worn. 

I'm wondering if anyone has tackled this as I want to find the oem paint that it should actually have, I don't want to do anything custom or unique. 

I checked out Bavauto and Turner

Check Bavarian Autosport for their original metal hood roundel part 51 14 5 480 181. Cost $26.

Don't think they have a trunk metal roundel, just the hood. Fortunately, both hood and trunk roundels are the same on my Touring.

http://www.bavauto.com/

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I used the model paint but found that I had to lighten the blue with the white to get a better color match.  used a small square end brush to dab the paint into the quarter areas and it leveled out beautifully.  I would consider the overall condition of the car before I "restored" the roundel however, if the car is in average daily driver condition, an unrestored roundel may better suit the car than a "restored" roundel.  however, if all the paint is missing a restoration is likely in order.

Gale

douggaleh at Hotmail dot com

This is the car its going on

053F2F2C-F53A-44A8-B56A-D4B17A52043F-376

ED2EAA3E-5E3A-43A0-9BF2-A23A36F0E42B-376

Check Bavarian Autosport for their original metal hood roundel part 51 14 5 480 181. Cost $26.

Don't think they have a trunk metal roundel, just the hood. Fortunately, both hood and trunk roundels are the same on my Touring.

http://www.bavauto.com/

Only problem is that they are smooth, my current ones are all metal, both rear and front but smooth. I am swapping to a trunk with no rear badge and I wanted to run an old school raised badge, guess I'm just picky lol

Only problem is that they are smooth, my current ones are all metal, both rear and front but smooth. I am swapping to a trunk with no rear badge and I wanted to run an old school raised badge, guess I'm just picky lol

The one I got from them a few weeks ago has "raised" letters etc like the originals. Just ordered another one after realizing my Touring has the same "hood" roundel on the back door.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17