• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subframe Transplant!

mikebontoft

Trying out tapatalk for the first time... seems wild.

Anyway, the red '75 has a crappy engine and the once-malaga '75 has a high compression (I THINK 12:1) engine with a ported 121ti head, oversize valves, schrick 316 and dual weber 40's. (All I know so far)

It also has an interesting coil over suspension which I probably won't use for long and Bavaria control arms. Also it has 13x10 wheels with 185/70r13's stretched onto them (horrible, looks like a balloon).

Not familar with these cars yet but it took me 2.5 hours to drop everything on the red one. Dropping the other tonight. Then swapping everything over.

post-45762-13857683578648_thumb.jpg

post-45762-13857683730992_thumb.jpg

post-45762-13857683911066_thumb.jpg

post-45762-13857684064331_thumb.jpg

post-45762-13857694078335_thumb.jpg

Tryin to figure out which car you are building to keep, the original lookin o2 or the beast with the baloons?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Its about 3 or so hours to pull. I just did it on my 02, minus the lift :P

IMG_1956.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Question: did you run the dual weber engine? It looks nice but I hope the insides are not like the outside of the beast! If it runs well, I would put that engine in the stock looking verona car. That Malaga car looks rusty. I have to vote for the Verona car getting whatever good stuff is on the rat. Sell the rest.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Question: did you run the dual weber engine? It looks nice but I hope the insides are not like the outside of the beast! If it runs well, I would put that engine in the stock looking verona car. That Malaga car looks rusty. I have to vote for the Verona car getting whatever good stuff is on the rat. Sell the rest.

Yeah, actually when it showed up the intake was removed. I spent a past weekend figuring out where everything went and then installed the new IE mechanical advance distributor the car came with. Unfortunately that had a bare wire and touched ground. It melted the harness of the malaga. Wired it up directly with jumper wires and realized then that I needed a resistor. Killed that igniter very quickly.

Swapped distributors again it actuay fired right up and ran well so I started the swap this weekend.

Yeah you guys don't want to see my outer rockers... or the lack thereof due to rust. Good thing about it is I know the structural rockers are good.... I can see em! And the front floorboards are pretty rusty (big holes) on both cars. The red one has easily repairable (well... I think it will be. Rockers and floorboards) rust and an otherwise straight body. The malaga is just bad everywhere.

Also, just decided to suck it up and go drop the Malaga's frame. Only took me 1.5 hours this time but I couldn't stay focused and wasted probably a good 30min playing around. So realistically more like an hour.

post-45762-13857940191294_thumb.jpg

post-45762-13857940318351_thumb.jpg

post-45762-13857940444381_thumb.jpg

post-45762-1385794060834_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikebontoft

Anyway, the red '75 has a crappy engine and the once-malaga '75 has a high compression (I THINK 12:1) engine with a ported 121ti head, oversize valves, schrick 316 and dual weber 40's. (All I know so far)

You might hope it's less than 12:1 compression ... otherwise, you'll likely have to fuel up at the local race track. -KB

got the subframes swapped last night, but the "custom" coilovers the other one had resulted in nearly 3" of drop. I couldn't get the wheels on. SO Today I spent swapping struts. Unfortunately one bolt broke off on one side and two on the other (where the ball joint bolts to the strut).

Don't have time to mess with it... car just needs to roll. Might as well just weld up the broken bolt to the ball joint and look at getting bavaria control arms down the road. I'll just have to drill out the bolts another time when I do the suspension :(