Addition To The Stable

jdm1602

The E39 M5 is my favorite large BMW.  I drove two different ones during an M-school in SC (I got 1st place in the wet slalom competition :) - this was before I even owned a BMW).  The sound of that engine was amazing - as was the power and handling.  The car would quickly tell you when you were either understeering or oversteering so you could make corrections.

I had a 2001 M5 and it was a fantastic car that was beautifully built and had a killer interior. The engine sang a very sweet song, pulled like an animal on steroids and handled with the aplomb. Fantastic driving car the never belied its weight or girth. Biggest problem was that I got a speeding ticket every year that I had it (3).  Plus it was not suitable for winters in the foothills of the Berkshires.  I never had a mechanical problem, but with the help of the web M5 community you should be OK.  Well, Ok in the sense that small things can be fixed but BIG items, like the engine,transmission and diff work,be prepared to do it yourself with used parts or have a very deep wallet.  Deep like the grand canyon,deep like uh, Michael Bolton. 

Henry

Yep,

Definately concerned about the motor. All sorts of horror stories on the M5Board. I had just washed the 1602 prior to putting it away for the winter, lights are mis-aligned because I was drying the bumper off.

Ah, easily rectified. In the pic it almost looks like a lens is missing :)

Vanos, carbon build up in air secondaries, every part being slightly different and 25% more expensive than regular e39 parts, throwing error codes all over the place, check engine light, the list goes on man. One thing is for sure, it drinks gas like don't ask. I guess I was hoping someone here either has owned one or does now and would speak up in a positive way to make me feel better about the purchase. Ah well,  for now it's a really nice thing to have in the driveway.

Archived