2000C Paint Choice

fsf517@yahoo.com

Hi everyone. I'm a bit new to the BMW experience. A month ago I bought a 76 2002, stuck engine, that project is going well. But since then I purchased a 1968 2000c. Kind of a 2 car deal. This car is completely disassembled now. On Tuesday 12-3-13 the shell is getting sandblasted , and then directly to the paint shop. The body is near perfect and should be sprayed in just a few days.

This car is originally white, perhaps it's called chamonix not sure. But that seems to be the only white offered that year.

So, my painter wants to use a base coat clear coat. But part of me wants to use an enamel single stage. I feel it's a bit more authentic and it's a harder finish. I personally am not overly interested in a super perfect finish, that I know only a clear coat can achieve. Also the clear is more easily touched up should the car get damaged during re-assembly.

So the BIG QUESTION!!!

Base coat / clear coat?

OR

Enamel single stage?

Looking for some expert opinions

Thanks, fred

I think it really depends on what you're going for.  If you just want a good, durable finish you're probably better off with a two-stage paint that will (as you noted) be easier to touch up and will be a lot more resistant to fading.  On the other hand, I don't think clear-coat paints quite look right on an old car, although it depends on the color.

Well dbmw2002 your talking my language. I really feel the enamel especially the pastel colors hold a whole different charm than the clear coats. I'm not sure everyone sees it. So I guess it's a single stage chamonix white. Now the next big question. Should I leave the boring original automatic that positions park at the bottom and shift to drive by moving the lever forward and is really cool, or go with a stick shift? That one I have time to think on. Thanks for the feedback.

Fred

Jgerock that is a sweet one. Looks enamel in the pics. Is that your take?

Would have to contact the owner (IIRC that tii is driven by the wife of Reggie of Motorsports Connections in NC).  Note the NC transporter license tag and 02 Group sticker.  All i know is that I liked it well enough to take those pics (I was looking for a Chamonix 72tii at that time).

I have a '71 and am having it repainted with single stage urethane (Glasurit 22 Line--which was the original finish).  Clear coats weren't used until later ('73 or so).  Clear coat finishes are more durable and have better UV protection I am told, but I think single stage looks more original for the earlier years.