Widest Rubber Under Turbo Flares

mossyboy6

One of the issues with adding more width, at least at the front, is that with the flares you're adding it all outside the steering pivot point on the road. Google 'scrub radius' for a lot more on this topic, but in short it can negatively affect your handling and certainly increases the required steering effort at low speed.

Adding tire width isn't necessarily going to add performance; wider tires don't automatically grip better. See the Wikipedia page for Friction, and specifically the section on dry friction.

By all means bolt up your flares and stuff the biggest rubber that will fit under them (an '02 with 225's under flares is a very nice thing to look at), just don't confuse your stylistic and performance decisions. 8)

The best way to work out how much to cut off is to have the car sitting on its wheels on the ground. Have the wheels you are going to run on the car , then get some one to turn the steering (i know its hard when your not moving)and where its really close or touching cut it off. You will find its probably different from one side to the other. ive also got a turbo front air dam so any cutting is covered up.Its the front corners of the valance that touch.

• 2 months later...

I think they ended up at about zero offset , I got some 3" and 2 1/2" outer lips for my BBS RS001 , ended up with 8" on front and 8 1/2 rear.How low ...2" cut front struts with shortened Billies, Ground Control coil overs with 7" springs , 2 coils cut off for rear with Billies, 20mm lower control arm blocks/camber adjusters.How low, pretty low .