Bmw Factory Engine Tags

planb

As I'm sure you know, your engine's number should match the car's VIN, unless there was a problem with the original enginethat was serious enough to require replacement before it was delivered to the buyer.  I've never seen one, but I suppose it was possible.  

The tags you pictured:  where did they come from?  Were they attached to an engine, in the packet with the owners manual, warranty paperwork etc?  

mike 

I don't think factory replacement engines are stamped with any numbers.  I'm not sure why BMW did that.  I would assume the dealers were supposed to stamp the original number there when they replaced an engine.  I found I had a factory replacement engine in my parts car that was only about 10K miles old along with a dealer's receipt for it.  No numbers were stamped in the block near the starter.  

Thanks for the replies and sorry I wasn't clear with my question

I recently purchased the car and it is a high miler (337,000 miles is my best guess).  The current engine has no  number on the block and is certainly not the original engine.  The engine tags came with the records I received from the previous owner, but many years of receipts were missing.  I was told the car was sold during a divorce - so we can only imagine what happened  :blink:    I believe the engine has been replaced at least twice.  The current engine runs well and scored 150 psi on the compression test.  I was hoping the engine tag numbers might indicate what year the engine was built or sold, so I could estimate when the engine was installed and how many miles were on it.

Cheers

There are old threads on this forum about the subject of replacement engines. I seem to recall that short blocks often got no numbers (on the boss above the starter) but long blocks often got markings of some sort -- although I thought they appeared on the engine number boss,

Your tag at left certainly says replacement engine in German. Perhaps BMW Archives can help you decipher the numbers on your replacement engine warranties. Search on "BMW Group Archives", "Christina Hartung",or "Andreas Harz" for their contact info.

Steve

• 5 months later...

I'm just documenting something I haven't seen previously. I looked at a sad tii, VIN 2762639 (I'm estimating Sept.-Oct., 1972) with, apparently, a replacement block. I saw no numbers on the engine's number boss when viewed directly with my eyes, but my photo appears to show "2,0" on the boss (presumably as in 2.0 liter, as appears on heads). You'll have to click to enlarge the photo in order to see the "2,0". The number is up tight against the bellhousing, if you're still not seeing it!

The car, not mine, no affiliation, is listed for sale on Craig's List for Atlanta (the car is in Decatur, GA). $2,450, but for a VERY, VERY brave restorer only (99 out of a 100 would call it a parts car): absolutely needs a new roof clip (an old aftermarket sunroof and 20 years of sitting under a tree, unused, did it in), probably doors, hood, trunk lid, rear panel, possibly right rear quarter panel. But...good rear shock towers and surprisingly good rockers. Original non-snorkel nose, unfortunately rusted through above the "chin spoiler". Interior way gone from the rusted-out roof. Chamonix with navy blue car -- always one of my favorites and as classic as they come. It sounds prettier than it is but, hey, I've probably seen worse examples saved.

Anyway, has anyone seen this "2,0" stamping on a replacement block?

EDIT: See post # 13: the "2,0" is common or even standard.

Steve

post-41123-0-30093500-1400611036_thumb.j

post-41123-0-82388600-1400611164_thumb.j

post-41123-0-05193400-1400611188_thumb.j

post-41123-0-68175300-1400611205_thumb.j

That car needs to be saved. It is an early 73 based on the rear bumper, aluminum runners and cowl "notch". One of my favorite combinations too. When you were describing the roof, I thought of the Chamonix 72tii with glass sunroof I was interested in (but no title) in GA.

Jim,

This Decatur, GA car has a bad aftermarket glass sunroof. I didn't ask about a title because it wasn't going home with me and, anyway, titles are optional on old cars in GA. The sellers were calling it a '72 but I told them I thought it to be an early '73. Is this the car you were previously interested in? The seller said it sat in his business partner's neighbor's yard for 20 years, but she refused to sell it, or sell it for a suitable price.

If it didn't need a whole new roof, which, of course, kept the interior wet and moldy for years, convincing someone to take it on would be a whole 'nother story (and the asking price would be $6K). Of course, someone might rationalize and say, "Hey, rust repair, bodywork, and paint would be $15K without a roof replacement or $17K with a roof replacement. What's the difference?"

If you weren't getting the "ti" back, I'd sign you up for this one!

Best regards,

Steve

EDIT: According to BMW Archives, manufacture date for VIN 2762639 was October 10, 1972. Original color was Polaris metallic.

post-41123-0-89640300-1400620715_thumb.j

post-41123-0-32231200-1400620762_thumb.j

post-41123-0-71956100-1400620794_thumb.j

I think the vin is still on the boss. Tbere is just alot of oxidation. I can make out partial numbers from the pic.

Daron,

You could be right about that, and I toyed with the idea that I could see an "8" where the engine number is normally printed (and there are no "8"s in the VIN, so it would still not be matching, but could be a replacement engine rather than a replacement block, or a block from a '74 tii).

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: Oh, sh*t: maybe they all say that! I just went out and snapped a photo of my car's engine number. And, guess, what? It says. "2 0" upside down! I guess I never looked beyond the engine number. The lower left corner of the boss on my '76, stamped badly, says "2 0". Well, that's somewhat embarrassing: after 41 years of '02 ownership, I just discovered something that every '02 probably has! Thanks for following me on my personal exploration journey. Next week I'll likely discover that the front seats recline.

post-41123-0-40687100-1400622075_thumb.j

Jim,

This Decatur, GA car has a bad aftermarket glass sunroof. I didn't ask about a title because it wasn't going home with me and titles are optional, anyway, on old cars in GA. The sellers were calling it a '72 but I told them I thought it to be an early '73. Is this the car you were previously interested in? The seller said it sat in his business partner's neighbor's yard for 20 years, but she refused to sell it, or sell it for a suitable price.

If it didn't need a whole new roof, which, of course, kept the interior wet and moldy for years, convincing someone to take it on would be a whole 'nother story (and the asking price would be $6K). Of course, someone might rationalize and say, "Hey, rust repair, bodywork, and paint would be $15K without a roof replacement or $17K with a roof replacement. What's the difference?"

If you weren't getting the "ti" back, I'd sign you up for this one!

Best regards,

Steve

Not the same car. It probably is still sitting under the pine trees.

IMG_5638.jpg

IMG_5296.jpg

Archived