M20 Into Rhd '75 Auto - Possible?

Dooseone

Hey everyone, 

I've done some research and haven't been able to find all that much information regarding an M20 swap into a RHD auto 2002.

I assume there is clearance issues with the exhaust manifold and the steering column? 

I read that an e21 rack can be installed to help aliviate this issue, but I'd be interested in an easier fix.

If there isn't an easy way around it, I suppose I'd be more inclined to a simple manual conversion, bringing me to another question.

If I was to choose the standard 4 speed transmission, would it be a matter of swapping the parts and adding a manual pedal box? would I need to get my drive shaft altered or could I source one from a manual 2002?

I'm aware the 5 speed swap is a better option, but again, I'm struggling to find detailed information on this, and it seems as though it is a lot more complex than the 4 speed, and it would involve altering the driveshaft. 

Apologies if this is all over the place, I'm just trying to find the best path to take.

Thanks in advance. 

Yes it will fit RHD , Auto box is probably too big , Big hammer might help, 323i(E21) 5 speed works and fits its smaller, custom exhaust/downpipe manifold will miss the steering, you will have to get your tail shaft shortened in most cases for it to be right . E21 rack conversion is not a drop in job it requires a fair amount of fabrication to get it to work correctly.Places like Hardy Spicer can lengthen or shorten tailshafts as long as you supply the yokes and give them the length.There is a lot of information available on this conversion, only differance is RHD and as said custom manifold solves this.

Heres a pic of mine so far so it might give you a better idea of how the engine sits in the bay

994824_10153005857620005_1911876146_n.jp

I've yet to see a RHD under the hood but hopefully you can get a rough idea of how much room you will have to play with. Also if you do go with a getrag 260, you can use an E30 6 cyl manual driveshaft

Yes I had a 02 with it. Was a bit of a hash of a job but very possible. Didn't need to  change the steering box but it did need to be moved a bit to accomidate the exaust manifold. The Automatic chassis is a good start as the automatic tunnel is larger than the manual one on euro cars, (Ive a feeling all the US destined 02s had the auto box tunnel as standard) as the conversion done on mine required cutting out the existing tunnel and fabricating one to accommodate the box, Also had to loose the front roll bar. The car surprisingly handled very very well.

Archived