Distributor Vacumme Advance And Retard Hook Up Help Needed

devotion

Been putting back together a 76 2002 for my son over the summer and its just about time to fire up his first car! We swapped out the stock carb with a weber 38/38.  I have a few questions about what goes where.  First off, there are two vacumme lines coming off distributer...where do they go on this particular carb? Second, the breather on the valve cover (#1) used to hook up to the air filter (I think), but we are not running stock filter, so where or what does that do now? Last but not least, there is one line on the manifold that needs to be plugged or hooked up to something, and Im not sure what...its #3 in the pic, was this smog related? Thanks for all the help and advice.

post-38883-0-34392500-1384743656_thumb.j

#1 valve breather you can plumb to the new air filter, or make a catch can to vent to.

#2 is the hose that connects to your brake booster, make sure you connect the inline check valve the correct way.

#3 would connect to the carb water choke line if it is a water choke carb.

For a '76 car a dual vac advance/retard distributor is incorrect. leave the retard line capped and fit the advance line to the vac port on the base of the carb, cap all other vac ports

For a '76 car a dual vac advance/retard distributor is incorrect. leave the retard line capped and fit the advance line to the vac port on the manifold under the base of the carb, cap all other vac ports

You do not want to use the manifold vacuum port for the advance line.  For vacuum advance you need ported vacuum. This is a vacuum source above the throttle butterfly that is under vacuum as the throttle is opened, thus energizing the distributor adnance mechanism.  If you use the manifold port as suggested, the distributor will experience full vacuum advance at idle, when it is not needed.  Unfortunately not all Weber carbs come with a ported vacuum takeoff, in that case you are better off simply plugging the advance capsule.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Archived