Korman Competition Oil Pan Owners.. I Gotta Ask.

eurotrash

During my build, I impulse purchased an un-run pan from a gentleman here.  I internally questioned the motivation for the sale, but didn't ask any direct questions.  Maybe I figured out the reasoning, maybe not..

But has anyone else using this pan found these issues as well?

Things I learned:

1.  The motor won't mate to the trans (trans in car) with out some clearance..ing for the pan extension/drain plug to the passenger side motor mount perch.  First, the drain plug hit the brace that sits under the mount, stopping the motor about an inch out.  And then, it wouldn't allow the motor to shaft far enough back, another 1/4", and mate completely with the trans.  I had to nick the corner off the perch.  Nothing critical, but it would have been good information.  

E415F024-610B-4F39-AD81-F98D697D0F4A-362

2.  When reinstalling the dipstick tube, the dipstick itself hits the bolt in tray inside the pan and will not seat in the tube!  By about 2"!!!  I pulled the tube back off and tried my darndest to find passage, but no go.  Needless to say, this is a big issue!! ..the motor is in the car.  In retrospect, reviewing photos, one could have seen this coming.. But its so far removed at the point of assembly that it didn't occur to me what so ever..

2CEF8865-1DD9-4061-B49B-EDC439FAAEE2-374

If anyone out there has experience with this pan, please chime in.   

-Jason

Edited by eurotrash

that sucks man, im thinking its not a genuine korman oil pan or it was intended for e21

doing a search on "korman oil pan" finds a few old threads.  one of them is this fs add for an e21 pan.  the one here is definitely not an e21 pan due to the pickup location, but note the cutout for dipstick.  perhaps this is not a true korman pan or somehow the upper plate did not get cut?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/133786-korman-e21-m10-race-oil-pan/?hl=korman+oil+pan#entry40025

trash - no. this is not a smack down for not doing a search. :rolleyes:

Yep, it seems the upper baffle did not get relieved for the dipstick - odd.

Cutting a notch from the passenger side motor mount perch is necessary.

For reference, here's a photo of the oil pans I have made (another batch is on order). I like to add a small tab to which I can safety-wire the drain plug. -KB

post-35761-0-10835500-1384438318_thumb.j

Yeah.  Thanks guys.  I think I know what needs done.  Dammit.  I'll probably have to lift the motor and pull the pan..  Might have to remove the motor all together, if the pan won't make it past the sub frame. But this means undoing all the work I spent last Saturday doing..  Radiator, fan, etc.  buying a new gasket. blah blah blah..

Ken, do you know if I might be able to get the thing out by just lifting the motor off the mounts?

4078F3FA-10FD-411B-990D-7A0AE4BA5351-212

So lame..  my wife is really beginning to hate 'our' car. 

Marshall, I saw that post re the e21 pan when I was looking for input.  Amazing that no one ever had mentioned any of this.  Am I the only person in (this) world to end up with a baffle that wasn't made to accept a dipstick?  guess so.

Nothing sinister here. 

This pan came with a rebuilt shortblock. 

Since it is a Tii block, I was planning on eventually going to a Korman autoX pan for  a more stock look. 

I believe Korman used to sell separate M10 and S14 pans....looks like they have combined them into a single product.

If it will help with the modification or concerns, please forget about the $50. you still owe me.

Just spoke extensively to Carl at Korman. (paraphrased)  "The pans are built per motor, and there for clearance is calculated per motor, based on the varying dipstick tube designs. (Unless it was one of the ten 92mm big bore motors imported from BMW with NO provision for a dipstick tube where a bung was welded to the pan itself for a threaded dipstick. Or the customer's race motor build has another method for level check.) In the case that a pan is sold stand alone, fab'd from a customers pan, there are instructions included to inform the customer of the necessity to make a cut to the top baffle before installation."

He's a nice guy to chat with, BTW.  Very helpful. 

I'll probably have to lift the motor and pull the pan..  Might have to remove the motor all together, if the pan won't make it past the sub frame.

To remove my baffled oil pan with the engine in car (not a Korman pan) I drop the front subframe a bit and reach in and unbolt the oil pump and pull the pan out with the oil pump in it. Installation is reverse of removal, using tie wraps to hold the gasket in place. --Fred

Edited by FB73tii

Yep, it seems the upper baffle did not get relieved for the dipstick - odd.

Cutting a notch from the passenger side motor mount perch is necessary.

For reference, here's a photo of the oil pans I have made (another batch is on order). I like to add a small tab to which I can safety-wire the drain plug. -KB

Ken please expound on your oil pans... Details?  Pics?  Can I purchase one from you? :)

Edited by jdeitch