My 1970 '02 has an E30 5-speed.

When I release the clutch in 1st the car moves slightly forward, but you can hear and feel grinding, and the car will not stall in 1st, 2nd, or reverse gear.  In other words, from a dead stop I can put the car in 1st, 2nd, or reverse, fully release the clutch without adding gas, and the car won't stall.  3rd-5th it does stall from a stop as expected.

I am at a loss.  The brake fluid in the clutch reservoir looks fine; the clutch pedal feels like it always has.   My knowledge is admittedly low, but I'm learning and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could this be a slave cylinder or pressure plate issue?  Thoughts?

mlytle and peterschop, are you saying that the clutch is only bad in first, second and reverse, but not in 3rd and fifth?

Sounds like a bad trany to me. 

Ever try starting up in a high gear without stalling? You have to rev the engine and slip the clutch to keep it from stalling. It takes more to move the car because of the gearing. He is letting the clutch out without giving it gas. The clutch is slipping until it takes hold in low gear. In higher gear, it stalls. The only thing that is throwing me is that he said "you can hear and feel grinding".

What Frank did not say was when the 5 speed was installed and how long this problem was going on. If the transmission was just installed, maybe he had the flywheel resurfaced and it was not properly done. If the lip was not cut in the flywheel, the clutch will not properly engage.

Edited by peterschop

Ever try starting up in a high gear without stalling? You have to rev the engine and slip the clutch to keep it from stalling. It takes more to move the car because of the gearing. He is letting the clutch out without giving it gas. The clutch is slipping until it takes hold in low gear. In higher gear, it stalls. The only thing that is throwing me is that he said "you can hear and feel grinding".

What Frank did not say was when the 5 speed was installed and how long this problem was going on. If the transmission was just installed, maybe he had the flywheel resurfaced and it was not properly done. If the lip was not cut in the flywheel, the clutch will not properly engage.

If the clutch engages enough in 3rd and 5th gear to stall the engine (whatever happened to 4th), it  would certainly transmit enough torque to move the car in 1st or 2nd.

If the clutch engages enough in 3rd and 5th gear to stall the engine (whatever happened to 4th), it  would certainly transmit enough torque to move the car in 1st or 2nd.

He said that the car did not stall in first or second gear. I would take his statement "3rd-5th" would include 4th gear also. I think we need more information from Frank Beta to fully analyse the situation.

At this point I am wondering if it's really going all the way into 1st and 2nd. Perhaps the gears (synchro sleeves) are just barely touching and thereby generating the grinding sound. How does the shift linkage feel? 

Yes, a little more background wouldn't hurt.

Edited by allbim