Ken -

Its a friend of mine that lives up around Sonora. He did this as a one off for me. Not sure if he would do this in quantities but I can ask. He paints many different things including cars, motorcycles, helmuts and even HO scale slotcars. The photo below is of 4 cars he painted for an IROC style race on the track to the right. He is an artist.

post-43078-0-54540000-1382473885_thumb.p

Stuart

He used 1-Shot lettering enamel.  I have asked him for details on the paint colors and process of cleaning and prepping them prior to hand painting them.  I have also asked him if he would do some for others.  The one thing I will say is that if he does them, turnaround on his work does take some time.  Let me see what he says.  Here are a few more pics. 

As they were when they came off:

post-43078-0-10369200-1382541178_thumb.j

After cleaning and prep:

post-43078-0-86582100-1382541207_thumb.j

Done:

post-43078-0-77366200-1382541232_thumb.p

Stuart

I have been tempted to get one of those gravity fed paint pens, and after reading up on remanufacturing emblems, it is quite tempting to try something like this out. I am interested to know the type of paint he used and the process he went through.

I'll definitely be casting a replacement setup to try out a few different ideas.

• 1 month later...

New to the world of powder coating but would that be a possibility?

Maybe. You'd have to apply high-temp masking tape to prep for color 1., let's call it white, apply the white powdercoating, fire the white powdercoating, re-apply high-temp masking tape to prep for color 2., blue, apply the blue powdercoating, and fire the blue powdercoating. I suspect it would take more care and time than I could ask of my (normally very congenial) powdercoater! But if you were doing it yourself, or had an exceptionally patient powdercoater, it might work.

Steve

Archived