Car Will Not Start Or Even Cranck

jmayom2002

Good evening,

Any leads on what to work on or parts to be replaced for my 2002 (1972).that will not start or even cranck?

Car has been sitting for 3 years, put a brand new battery, I can see the lights on the dash, but will not cranck. Is there a relay that probably went bad?

Any help would he tremendously appreciated.

Regards

A little quick 'n dirty troubleshooting:

turn on your headlights.  Can you see 'em?  Are they nice and bright?  Now with 'em still on, turn the key to start.  Do the lights dim or stay bright?  Do you hear any clicking or other sounds from the engine compartment? 

If the lights stay bright, then your starter isn't getting any juice--you 'll need to troubleshoot the starter circuit.  You might start by smartly rapping the starter motor with a soft-face mallet or big screwdriver handle either while someone holds the key in the start position, or just before you try the starter switch again.  If the lights dim but no noise from the starter, I'd check the battery terminals--are they warm?  Are they nice and clean and tight?  Are both ground straps (to block, and to body) in place and grounding properly at the block/body end? 

Still nothing?  try running a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the small wire on the starter solenoid.  If you're rewarded with a functioning starter, then the problem is in the ignition switch to starter circuit.  Possibly the electrical part of the ignition switch itself. 

Try these and let us know whatcha find...

mike

Thank you all for the responses.

Where can I find the two starter wires?

What do you mean by moving the engine by hand?

Mike, I will follow up on your detailed troubleshooting.

I actually converted my auto to manual and changed many new parts, so once I put the car on the ground; I was excited to start it, and nothing, bummer.

Regards,

Juan

If it happened right after you worked on it, follow exactly what Mike said to do.  This will tell you whether there are wires disconnected somewhere or something else. I was worried that you had not started the car in 3 years, then you would need to verify if the engine was siezed or not.  This would be done by hand.

Hi,

you forgot to mention the most imortant part. the

conversion of the car from auto to manual. there was four

wires that attached to the back of the auto trans that need

to be reconnected to finish the job. two of the wires

are for completing the reverse light circuit. they should be

connected to the back of the manual trans reverse switch.

the other two are for the neutral safety switch. these two

need to be connected directly together. this will allow the

starter to engage. this pair of wires can also be used as

a theft deterent by putting a hidden switch on the car

and using it to stop someone from starting the car. the wires

for all this stuff come thru the floor pan just in front

of the drivers seat so you may be able to retract the wires

for the starter circuit.

good luck,

stone

Glad you added the part about converting from automatic to manual--I'd follow Stone's advice and try to find those neutral switch wires.  Sometimes it's the little things that can trip you up! 

As for the clutch feeling "soft"--get the car running and see if you can put it in gear without grinding.  If you can, then you've bled the clutch hydraulics correctly.  If not, you'll need to bleed the clutch system again...

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

As for the clutch feeling "soft"--get the car running and see if you can put it in gear with grinding. If you can, then you've bled the clutch hydraulics correctly. If not, you'll need to bleed the clutch system again...

cheers

mike

I think Mike meant to say "without" grinding. The clutch system can be a bit tricky to bleed since the bleeder valve on the clutch slave is on the bottom. A pressure bleeder really helps here.

-Dave

Good evening, about the 4 cables that go on the back of the manual transmission. How do I know where each goes?

There is a green/white, purple/black, brown/yellow and brown. (All female connectors)

Only two male connectors on the back of the tranny.

Getting frustrated after all that work.

Thank you again for all the help

Not sure this will help you.

620d38bf.jpg

I would look at a manual transmission 2002 wiring diagram for the reverse light circuit to see which (2) wire colors they are.  That would rule out the other (2) wires. The BMW service manual shows details for the switch on the automatic  -will look tonight.

I used to have a neutral safety switch on my tii - but it was at the shift selector rod.  I'm not sure the wiring colors are the same as the auto trans.

pics172010002.jpg

pics172010003.jpg

I think Mike meant to say "without" grinding. The clutch system can be a bit tricky to bleed since the bleeder valve on the clutch slave is on the bottom. A pressure bleeder really helps here.

-Dave

The bleeder valve (nipple) is at the bottom, but it takes the fluid and air from the top.