Can You Convert An Auto Pedal Box?

bmwbabe

I am looking to convert my 1976 automatic 2002 into a 5 speed manual. I have been looking for a late model manual pedalbox but I was wondering if it is the same housing so that I can just switch out the pedals?

Thank you

Aspen

I did.*

Cheers,

*I didn't ;-)

While any thing is possible, I would think you would be better off finding a good manual pedal  box.. They are out there. In order to do what you want to do, you would have to find a manual pedal box anyway for the parts needed for the conversion.  

I am also gathering all the parts needed for an automatic to 5 speed swap. I found a good pedal to to use. In order to convert an auto pedal box, you need to attach the clutch master cylinder as well as the clutch pedal and springs and bushings and shaft to the pedal box. I would think you would be saving a lot of grief by finding a good manual box. Maybe one that needs a rebuild but not rotted out. 

Just as a caveat in your search for a manual shift pedal box:  The pedal boxes on 2002s with VINs below 1665200 are different from the later ones--the clutch pedal return spring mechanism/linkage is quite different--and prone to wear and failure.  That's why the factory changed the design. 

And of course 1600s all had mechanical clutch linkages, so that pedal box won't help you at all...

mike

In order to do what you want to do, you would have to find a manual pedal box anyway for the parts needed

Yeah- I think I did exactly that- the original pedal box was swiss cheese, but no- one wanted the auto box, so I stuck the

parts from the manual into the auto, and off I went.  At the most, you'd have to relocate the support bracket-

but I don't think it was that involved, even.  The bushing on the auto brake is wider...

Oh, right, I remember, duh.  The auto box has no provision for the clutch master mount.  So you have to cut

the reinforcement off the manual box, weld it onto the auto one, and drill the holes.   With a template sitting on the

bench next to it, it's not too hard.

hth

t

Now that's some pretty fancy fabrication!

thank you. 

makes me want to go put a little door on it...

I would think you would be saving a lot of grief by finding a good manual box. Maybe one that needs a rebuild but not rotted out.

One man's grief is another man's joy!  ; )

...on a good day anyway.

Archived