• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actually, no I'm not new to the 2002 world bought my first one in 1977. I've always heard that the M10 was a high rev. machine but my question is I've never had a stock engine until now. Everything else I've driven has had upgrades to the engine and I am very comfortable with high RPM's with them. I was just curious what other's had to say about how high of RPM's they run. I typically run at right around the 4000 RPM range on the freeway - I think I'll kick that up a little and try and avoid a ticket.

Thanks for the great information..........

I've survived damn near everything.

1974 - 2002, Mild - sold to son
1976 - 2002, lil' Wild

there is no problem with running a properly maintained M10 at any level below the redline for long periods. it is NOT beating on it and it WAS made to run like that.  if you are below 4k rpm all the time you are missing out on the "fun zone" of these engines. wind'em up!

Also you need to red-line them daily to keep the top end properly lubed.

And I'm only half-joking!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

While in the service in Europe, I bought my first BMW and put 36000 miles on it, mostly on the autobahn, driving as fast as it would go. That was 106 to the best of my memory. It was a base 71 agave and never had a problem with it.

As has been mentioned, they were built for the autobahn. Drive it like you stole it!

• Haha 1

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Also you need to red-line them daily to keep the top end properly lubed.

And I'm only half-joking!

right on.  i am not joking.  that is how my fun cars are driven.  M2, E36 M3, my ex E30 325's,1st gen MR2, etc.  part of normal maint!  actually, track time at near redline for long periods is also required maint for all my cars....including the 4500rpm redline eta slushbox commuter car!

anything less is depriving a BMW of it's life calling!   :) 

2xM3

Anything below 3,500 rpms is positively lugging an M10 motor! My stock engine is just coming on cam at 3,800-4,000 rpms. As Mike referenced, read your owner's manual: extended driving above 100 mph is discouraged. That means extended driving up to and including 100 mph is encouraged!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

They all speak the truth , these little bleeders of ours love to rev & stretch their legs on the open highway.REV BABY REV.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

In 1974 we drove from the BMW factory in Munich to the Nurburgring and spent a lot of the trip on the autobahn at close to 6000 in top gear (and we were in the RIGHT lane) If it is a healthy engine don't worry about cruising at 5000-5500 they really do like it (your fuel mileage will suffer, shoving that box through the air at that speed is not easy)

Speaking of fuel mileage, I put $25 (around $3.80 a gallon) before my trip to the gorge (125ish miles round trip) and had more gas than when I started! that was cruising at 75mph for the most part with a roof rack and basket installed... 74 with 3.64 running around 4300-4500 rpm the whole way. They were meant to go and get decent gas mileage when you do.

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

Its just not good to be beating the motor like that. It wasn't made to run at that high of speeds for long periods of time.

This is me, laughing.

Anything below 3,500 rpms is positively lugging an M10 motor!

You've never driven something with an M42.  The M10 has a surprising amount of 2k+ torque compared to an M42...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ft Worth TX to Durant OK - 125 mikes, 90 minutes. Not bad for a 37 year old car - treat them well, they are built tough.

16ed4e5b766d15729a3820b4e45413dc_zps84b8

Tom

Ft. Worth

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

1969 BMW 1600 (the one that got this madness started for me ...)

I only run mine between 6500 and 8000 rpm. Redline it in first, drop the clutch and keep it in that zone as much as possible. Red on the tach means "power zone" right? 

Right?

;)

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

In my 73 tii, in 5th gear, my speedo is 70 mph is 3K RPM. 4K RPM is 84 MPH..(70 in 4th is 4K RPM)

Did the 5 speed OD conversion 9 years ago, zero regrets.

75 2002 (black) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - probably forever

I just drove back from a car show on Saturday on the interstate with tourons.  I maintained between 4000 and 4500.  I have never seen the car have more pep.  We did our share of passing acceleration and all was fine. She likes the high rpms and I like moving down the highway.

Yes it was loud but I am learning to control my voice.

Ok, I get it now, run a little higher RPM's then I have been. This reminds me of a Bill Cosby show called "200 MPH" where his mechanic tells him he has to burn the gunk out of his engine every day by running 200 MPH. Bill asked the mechanic where he was suppose to do that and was told any back street. Bill said the cops  must of been hiding in his truck because he'd get caught every time he tried it. Where can I take my car out and run it at 100 mph everyday? The freeways are pretty busy and there's a lot of police that really love to write tickets. Should I run down the freeway in 3rd gear at about 5000 RPM's to get things moving? I'm not real interested in any more tickets. And safety is my number one concern.

I've survived damn near everything.

1974 - 2002, Mild - sold to son
1976 - 2002, lil' Wild