Transmission

71bmr02

date of mfg 10/74 vin 2360766. title is dated 1974.Gale

Despite the 1974 title, a 10/74 date of manufacture denotes a 1975 model year car. The box calculates mileage to trigger the Reactor Service light on your dash.

All '75 U.S. cars originally had these boxes as all were factory-equipped with thermal reactors. In addiction, all CA-version '76 U.S. cars originally had these boxes as all were factory-equipped with thermal reactors. My 49-state version '76 (manufactured April '76) did not come with such a box but c.d. has pointed out that some 49-state versions may have been factory-equipped with the box although they were not equipped with thermal reactors.

Many of the boxes are long gone and have had the two-part speedo cable replaced with the single, longer version.

Steve

I was just up in the attic of my shed and looked into the box of parts the PO removed from the car. I found a mileage counter box. I had no idea what it was until now. BTW, my car was manufactured June 1974. It does have a motor from an E21 but I doubt the PO would have saved the counter from that car.

So I pulled it out of the box and thew over the fence into the neighbor's pool.

Archived