Tips On Cleaning Engine Aluminum

mdh

Getting ready to replace the engine and I decided to clean her up first. Just painted the block but I am not sure what to do with the aluminum. It looks like someone may have painted some of it at some time and there is a bunch of oxidation. Any tips on how to get it back to the way it looked without damaging anything?post-43183-0-64868600-1381812922_thumb.jpost-43183-0-25572600-1381812993_thumb.jpost-43183-0-64106700-1381813040_thumb.j

that explains the wood floors... haha...

you can totally soda blast in your driveway, or even in a sink. invest in a small compressor. 

Trust me. Seriously, I have spent more time cleaning and polishing aluminum then I care to admit. This will be the best solution that fits around your demands. the correct finish is attained by sending them off to get tumbled, but it sounds like you don't want to disassemble and simply want it cleaned... therefore this is just about your only option that wont scratch or damage your covers. 

I sometimes use WD40 and blue shop paper towels. Works wonders for cleaning off old grease and grime off your engine. Spray it on, work it in, wipe off. Repeat. Don't know if it will take the paint off. Maybe with some small Harbor Freight wire brass brushes and WD40, you can remove the paint.

Blasting cant be done, no garage, no compressor.... This is a driveway "restoration" and my m10 lives in my living roomattachicon.gifIMG_20130910_013005.jpg...

If that were my situation, i'd put a pan below, get the comet from under the sink, and both brass and regular toothbrush bristle brushes, and go to town. Rinse with a spray bottle. Repeat.

Good luck,

bob

Archived