• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter Panel Window Install Order Of Operations..

70deluxe

Another random question as I figure this all out...  thanks in advance for any help.

I am installing the rear quarter panel windows.  Didn't take enough pictures when removing them.  Story of my life...

I am wondering what the correct order of installation is.

1.  Start with nothing.  (Photo 1)

2.  Install the window bracket (photo 2) and then put in rivets

3.  Install the rubber (photo 3).

4.  Insert the window into the correct slot (no photo taken).

I bought OEM rubber but the piece (photo 2) is too long.  Do I cut this to fit?

Or my thoughts were to piece everything together, cut rubber to size, install and then put in rivets but not sure if that will work. 

Sorry if these questions seem ridiculous.  First time doing this and figure it'd be better to ask than to screw it up.

Thanks, gents.

post-45038-0-86024100-1381707549_thumb.j

post-45038-0-62160700-1381707557_thumb.j

post-45038-0-28763200-1381707564_thumb.j

There should be a rubber gasket around the opening that the window seals against - I don't see it. That goes in before the glass, and the vertical rubber strip you show is one of the last things you install.

Check the factory manual - http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/108461-shop-manual-pdf-for-download/page-2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thanks, John.

I have the rubber gasket that seals the window.  I forgot to list that.

So order would go:

1.  Start with nothing (photo 1)

2.  Install the window bracket and then put in rivets (photo 2)

3.  Install the rubber gasket that seals the window (not pictured)

4. Install vertical rubber strip (photo 3).

5. Install window. 

I guess my main question is the vertical rubber strip.  It's OEM but it's too long.  I'm assuming I cut to fit as I don't see any other way around it. 

Downloading the shop manual.  Thanks for sending that thread.

It's been >25 years since I did this job, so read the procedure in the shop manual or search this forum for more recent experiences!

I believe you should first install the gasket you don't have yet.

The window is screwed to the B-pillar, but I thought there was another thin gasket that was held onto the front edge of the window with cotter pins before the glass screwed to the body.

That long vertical gasket is lastly pressed into place from the inside after the window is screwed into place, so hold off on cutting it until you reach that step.

Searching turned up this - http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/129841-how-to-install-rear-quater-windows/?hl=side+window#entry67049

John in VA

bmw_spin.gif

The black metal bracket has to be attached to the window first.  There is a small hole and a cotter pin that keeps the window locked to the bracket.  The easiest way to install the screws is the have someone hold the glass while you sit inside, pull the seal back so you can see and install the screws. 

Step 6 would be to install the latch mechanism, the adjustments of the latch are how you get the window to sit square in the frame and evenly against the seal.

Mark DeBernardi

BMW2002Badge.jpg

sorry to repost.  i downloaded shop manual and didn't see anything regarding quarter panel windows---plenty of info re: front and vent windows. 

More or less just wondering if what i've deduced below is correct. 

Thanks for the responses thus far.  Very helpful, everybody.

1.  put a silicone bead down and then rivet this piece in place (photo quarter 1)

2.  rivet this metal bracket to the center beam (photo quarter 2)

3.  put a silicone bead down, then the polished piece on center beam and then rivet it in place (photo quarter 3)

4. Put in window gasket  (photo quarter 4)

5.  Fit rubber piece into the metal bracket from #2 (photo quarter 5)

6.  Install window into #5, use cotter pins, etc.

With a few other steps, this is more or less the order of operations, right?

Main question is this the window gasket seems too long (#4)  and the rubber piece from #5 seems too long.  Do I cut this to fit or am I doing this wrong?  It seems like that's the only way they'll piece together.

post-45038-0-55222700-1381731365_thumb.j

post-45038-0-24424400-1381731373_thumb.j

post-45038-0-72275300-1381731379_thumb.j

post-45038-0-13452400-1381731387_thumb.j

post-45038-0-30591000-1381731393_thumb.j

It appears you didn't look at the link I provided above - another member had the same question re: extra length.  After the body gasket, trim parts, and window are in place, measure the length needed for that piece (it fits INSIDE the car) and cut it to the proper length.  You might leave it several millimeters long as it will shrink over time.

John in VA

bmw_spin.gif

I did a column on installing the quarter windows after I repainted my '69 back in 2000.  If you'd like a copy, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

cheers

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite