• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ie Wilwood Fronts Issue (15")

Dabliz02

Hello All!!!

So I just finished installing my front and rear Wilwood brakes from IE.  Bled brakes, got a pretty firm pedal.  Rolled it out of garage slowly to make sure it stops and it does.  All is well so far.  Then pick up speed to about 25mph then slowly ease the pedal.  At this point, the most vibration i have ever felt in my life!!!  It is like the worse ever warped rotors possible (that kind of shaking/ symptom) from the front, steering wheel and all.  But it did stop.  So I drove it around a little to see if it would cause a vibration at just normal driving speeds and nothing.  So I know its under braking.  Pulled the hand brake slowly (holding the button down)  and no vibration whatsoever.  Confirming it is from the front. 

Got back to my garage, jacked up the front, put on  stands (safety first!!!) then spun both front wheels. You can hear the rotor intermittently touching the pads with a slight scraping sound.  Took wheels off, checked hubs for runout, loose bearings, and all is well.  Next step is the rotor, put that back on and noticed that the rotor does not go on flush with the hub.  It has a good amount of play.  As that being the possible issue, i put spacers to see if it will help a little.  Put spaces and there was not as much play as before.  Put it all back together and there is a noticeable difference, not perfect but it has diminished.

So any thoughts if I have gone about this situation?  Questions of my installation (even though I feel the fronts are straight forward).  Could it be anything else?  Can I condem bad hubs?  I mean the hub, bearings, and rotors are the main moving parts and I and not putting the wheel/tires into the equation since i didnt have this issue before and its only under braking.

Thanks in Advance

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

the rotor hat should fit flat against the hub with no lateral play or wobble at all.  my IE wilwood setup does in the front.  if yours does not, check the surface of the hub, and the area around the bearing cap.  what kind of studs are you using?  do they have a shoulder on them that might be interfering with the hat fit?

after all that is checked, put the rotor on (did you check that all the bolts holding the rotor to the hat are tq'd to 26ftlbs or so?).  snug it down with lug nuts.  put a dial gauge on it and check the runout.  my first set of rotors were way off.  had to have them turned.

video of runout test.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

mlytle-  The rotor hat is not fitting flat against the hub, which is why i put spacers and evened out a little (still not perfect but better).  So you have no play or do you mean you have play in the front?  I did check the hub and it does seem a little odd and does not look like a perfect face for the hat.  Around the bearing cap seems rough but i dont think it is effecting it more than the face of the hub.  I am using the same studs that came with the kit which also look like yours in the video.  Just go all the way through until the "stops".  So the hub is my primary concern.  And I don't think i can turn the rotors since they are slotted (unless it is a myth).

So these are just ideas before i call IE on Monday.  But should I see if they can get me new hubs?  I am not able to fix them and I don't think I should pay for something i bought that should be a good part in the beginning.

jrod770- I did have that issue with the rear and did grind them down as well.  But I had no clearance issues with the front.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

I have yet to see a hub face that was not flat. If this same problem can be seen on both sides then this shoots up a big red flag to me, the chance of the hubs or other hardware being the issue is even more remote.

My first educated guess is that the hats are not seated all the way onto the hub due not getting them flush over the hub center ring. I have seen some hats (even stock replacement rotor centers) sit very tightly over the hub where it could be quite possible to assume it was on all the way. A couple of wacks with a rubber hammer has done the trick.

Either way when you call on Monday the first thing to do is ask for me (since I've already seen this) and we'll get it figured out together (whether you need hubs or just a good rubber hammer).

I have yet to see a hub face that was not flat. If this same problem can be seen on both sides then this shoots up a big red flag to me, the chance of the hubs or other hardware being the issue is even more remote.

My first educated guess is that the hats are not seated all the way onto the hub due not getting them flush over the hub center ring. I have seen some hats (even stock replacement rotor centers) sit very tightly over the hub where it could be quite possible to assume it was on all the way. A couple of wacks with a rubber hammer has done the trick.

Either way when you call on Monday the first thing to do is ask for me (since I've already seen this) and we'll get it figured out together (whether you need hubs or just a good rubber hammer).

agree.  as i said, if it is not sitting flat, look for why.  even paint can cause the issue.

2xM3

Update

After a little more inspection and driving it a tad around town I noticed a few things.  The hats  are seated all the way on the hubs since I have no play since I spent more time and patience looking at it.  But in the first pic you can see spots where the rotor is hitting the pads intermittently. You can feel resistance and see where it is having the problem.  Around the  2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 10:30 areas you can see it darkened compared to the rest.  This is the same for both sides.  Took some pics of the hat seating onto the hub to see if you guys think its seated all the way.  It looks even all the way around to me.

post-43021-0-00818800-1381699309_thumb.j

post-43021-0-77926600-1381699326_thumb.j

post-43021-0-74811800-1381699342_thumb.j

post-43021-0-71419600-1381699352_thumb.j

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

It's really hard to see from the pictures- I'm going from some of the witness marks-

but it looks like step on the hub is larger than the hole in the rotor hat.  Reverse the hat,

so that the outside face is facing inward, and try to seat it onto the

hub.  If it's seating properly, there'll be no gap between the hub and the hat face.

If the lip on the hub is holding the hat off, it'll be easy to see.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The other side of the hats do not sit flush with the hub.  The other side of the hat does not have a machined area like the normal side.  So it is at least 1/8 of an inch from fully seating.

I am using the BP-20 pads and I do believe they are fully installed and no issues.

And yea it is mounted on the other side, which is what i am surprised on since i checked your thread, but called IE and said they switched sides.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Ah, but the diameter's right, except for the relief?  That seems to suggest that the hats and hub are seating correctly...

you can pull studs to be absolutely sure, but that's a real pita if you loctited them in...

And talk to IE- they'll make it right, if it's something that isn't.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL