M10 Block Bore Limit?

FB73tii

For race engine builders--how far would you feel comfortable boring out an M10 block without sonic testing it first? If sonic tested, what is minimum safe cylinder wall thickness to look for?

I have heard of people going as far as 92.0mm, but I would certainly sonic test if going that far. The reason I ask is my block that was scored when the #1 intake valve dropped cleaned up at 91.0 mm (the bores were 90.25mm) and I might eventually re-use this block with 91mm pistons if I thought it was safe to do so.

Yeah, I know, blocks are cheap, but I did such a nice job prepping and painting this one!  :D Would be a shame to just toss it. Opinions/experiences?

Thanks,

Fred '69 & '74tii

Information what I have gathered is that 92mm is too much for high powered turbo application but should still be ok for N/A engine. 91mm I would consider safe without ultrasonic testing. This applies only to old 2 liter m10 block from 2002 or NK. Late blocks like something from e30 are weaker.

Tommy

Yeah, the odd  thing is that it depends on what you start with.  The E30 blocks are much more consistent, but there's a lot

less metal there overall.  The E21 blocks have a bit less metal- but less potential core shift, so at 91mm, you'd probably be ok.

An early 2002 block certainly has enough wall thickness- it's just, is it all where it's supposed to be?

If 91mm pistons aren't exorbitant, I'd try it.

t

I measured a typical minimum of .160" (4mm) cylinder wall thickness with an ultrasonic gauge and a mechanical gauge where possible, on a stock-bore (89mm) 1979 E21 block, with a variation on the plus side of up to .030". My block had a moderate amount of rust in it before cleaning. I think 91mm is OK and 92mm is really pushing it. 

I've been running a stroker M10 for about 10 years now with a 92 MM Bore. Have a set of CP 12.5 C/R pistons on order so we'll see what a 2313 CC N/A M10 will do on race gas.  According to Jeff and Jeremy at I/E my Weber 45's may become the limiting factor.

post-9324-0-82424800-1381592589_thumb.jp

Archived