Chamoix

Old Picture Of Niki Lauda With Bmws

18 posts / 7332 viewsLast Reply

My wife and I went to see the movie Rush last night and when we got home it became evident that she didn't know it was about real people. When I googled Niki Lauda to show her a current picture, I found this picture of him at the Nurburgrings in 1973 on Wikipedia. Check out the Beemers behind him! Hard to believe they were new (or nearly new) cars when the pic was taken. Thought at first it might even be a BMW new car display, but I would think they would be facing the same direction if that was the case.

post-36218-0-06294000-1381256191_thumb.j

• Like 1

(edited)

AND the First Gen Z1 KawaBunga between his legs!

Niki The Rat

Blood Sport indeed

lauda-1-sign.jpg?w=774

Edited by c.d.iesel

(edited)

A fitting time to bump this thread......RIP Herr Lauda

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2013 at 11:26 AM, Chamoix said:

Nurburgrings in 1973 on Wikipedia. Check out the Beemers behind him! 

Back then they were called Bimmers. The extra M was for manliness as opposed to today where the E's mean entitled & elitist. 

But what do I know I'm bitter so I post about parts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the pleasure to watch him on TV as a kid. The cars seemed so fast, so exotic and so far away.

He will be missed,  R.I.P.

No doubt a delayed casualty of that awful fire. A courageous driver to the end.

Those who work in tall buildings might know Captivate - the display in the elevator that doles out adverts and inane news blurbs.  Today's blurb on Lauda's passing was something to the effect of:

Race car driver Nikki Lauda died yesterday.  Lauda was seriously injured in a crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix.

Sad day. A true hero, with such courage, determination, skill and compassion.  R.I.P. Niki

A8BDCD50-6D73-48E6-A70C-6DCB7AD13FB0.jpeg

My all time favorite formula racer will always be Senna but here is a clip of Nikki racing the 2002 with what looks like A4 injection under the hood. 

BTW: Does anyone know whatever happened to C.D in CT? 

(edited)
45 minutes ago, resra said:

BTW: Does anyone know whatever happened to C.D in CT? 

AFAIK, CD left the FAQ after one of the many upgrade transitions, when his computer wouldn’t work with the latest web tech.  I think he got lost went it went to more than a single forum stream.

At the tine, he was still holding down the fort as ‘the guru’ at his Darien CT BMW dealership.  Sad, as he was a trove of knowledge, as Toby/Ken/etc nowadays, and a daily poster.

Loved all the redlined pix he used to post, and his assured but surly demeanor. Much respect to his heyday, when he was racing old beemers and sidecars.

I hope he’s still kicking, throwing old junk in neighbors pools...

Edited by visionaut
Thumbs sux
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, visionaut said:

I hope he’s still kicking, throwing old junk in neighbors pools...

Haha....and something about wearing underwear in the shower....I can't remember but it was funny. I tried to call the dealership last time I was in CT couple of years ago but the operator didn't know who he was. I really wanted to stop by and chitchat with him about 2002s. 

Ah, sad.   One of the real survivors.

t