Matthias Bonjour

Introduction 1971

22 posts / 1905 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the group. I just picked up this '71 a few weeks back as my first project car. My friends had been telling me that I should get a toy and the 2002 kept coming up. Turns out a colleague had a non-runner for sale and after some back-and-forth we settled on a price and it's all mine!!

Been working on just getting it running and finally succeeded today! He had said that it wasn't pulling in gear, but I tried it in first today (with the sketchy clutch pedal) and it stalled, so I think it could be running sooner then I hoped. The pedal is really heavy and sticks to the floor, so I'll need to take it apart (any advice would be super helpful) and the brakes will need help too. oh yeah and electricals, almost nothing on the dash works and no indicators/wipers.

Needless to say, I'm super excited to working on this thing and can't wait to get it on the road!

Edit: video of it running: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VU-YRZ_Vh8Y

post-45977-0-63670600-1381213581_thumb.j

post-45977-0-55125200-1381213609_thumb.j

post-45977-0-54962400-1381213642_thumb.j

Edited by kambei

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the group. I just picked up this '71 a few weeks back as my first project car. My friends had been telling me that I should get a toy and the 2002 kept coming up. Turns out a colleague had a non-runner for sale and after some back-and-forth we settled on a price and it's all mine!!

Been working on just getting it running and finally succeeded today! He had said that it wasn't pulling in gear, but I tried it in first today (with the sketchy clutch pedal) and it stalled, so I think it could be running sooner then I hoped. The pedal is really heavy and sticks to the floor, so I'll need to take it apart (any advice would be super helpful) and the brakes will need help too. oh yeah and electricals, almost nothing on the dash works and no indicators/wipers.

Needless to say, I'm super excited to working on this thing and can't wait to get it on the road!

Edit: video of it running: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VU-YRZ_Vh8Y

That looks great, what price did you get it for?

Welcome to the group by the way! (I'm the admin of this specific group, so feel free to ask questions! ;)

Seems to be a pretty solid price, judging by the the body..looks great! If you get the mechanics straightened out, it'll be an incredible car! This might sound weird, but you'll literally create a relationship with this car...it's amazing! ;)

Congrats on the new car! Looks like a solid starting point, straight body (from the pics), nice color, clean interior. I look forward to seeing you around!

Where are you located?

Not a bad price at all for your car. I feel more and more like I stole mine every time someone post on here >.< 

As far as electrical you'll want to check fuses then start back tracing everything. The clutch I would personally pull the pedal box out, clean up the rust, rebuild the box and replace the clutch slave, or at the least pull the clutch slave and put a new slave and master in. They're not real expensive and it's just not worth messing with. Both mine were crap after sitting and I should of changed em sooner! 

Change ALL your fuel hoses. Trust me on this one... It's real cheap to do and you wont lose a bunch of gas all over.

Go through all your brakes and make sure they're not stuck and work good. My car needed calipers about a year after I pulled it from storage. That was a hell of a ride when it boiled the brakes due to a sticking caliper  :rolleyes:

Where you located? 

Good luck mate! Ask questions, we're here to help! Also give me a shout if you need parts. I only have a bunch...

Also! Get rid of that single barrel carb and put a weber 32/36 on it. So much better! 

And that oil smoke is probably from your valve cover gasket leaking. Replace that and do a valve adjustment while you're at it then let it burn the oil off. Also, always keep a fire extinguisher with ya. I havent needed it but you never know!

Congrats on the new car! Looks like a solid starting point, straight body (from the pics), nice color, clean interior. I look forward to seeing you around!

Where are you located?

I'm in Tacoma. Hilltop. If you drive down enough alleys, you'll soon spot it through my greenhouse.

Also! Get rid of that single barrel carb and put a weber 32/36 on it. So much better!

And that oil smoke is probably from your valve cover gasket leaking. Replace that and do a valve adjustment while you're at it then let it burn the oil off. Also, always keep a fire extinguisher with ya. I havent needed it but you never know!

The plan is to upgrade to Webers at some point. All in good time. I'll look into the valve cover gasket soon. Clutch and brakes are definitely a priority.

The plan is to upgrade to Webers at some point. All in good time. I'll look into the valve cover gasket soon. Clutch and brakes are definitely a priority.

Sold my last one just a couple weeks ago... I dont know anyone parting any cars out right now...  And you're sure the thing is rusted through and you're not just seeing the square hole that's always in the bottom?

Check Craigslist/Seattle for the pedal box--there is a guy in Everett who has been parting out a car or 2 for months now.

Also on the electrical, don't just look at your fuse box, but remove and inspect each fuse, and clean up any corrosion. 

Welcome!  Stu.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.