• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Tii Non-Starting-Fuel Pooling Issue

achman

I doubt you are having trouble with your wires, unless it is the one from the coil to the cap.  

Mine was misfiring, but otherwise running okay.  I misspoke, my wires were Bremi, not Bosch, but same difference.

Once it is warmed up and having problems, does the Ignitor feel hot to the touch?  Does the coil?

I have read of people using a heat gun to warm up a coil, while testing.  Same is true for the condenser, which you are not using currently.

Probably not much help, but I am sorry you are having this trouble and I wish I had more to offer.

I doubt you are having trouble with your wires, unless it is the one from the coil to the cap.  

Mine was misfiring, but otherwise running okay.  I misspoke, my wires were Bremi, not Bosch, but same difference.

Once it is warmed up and having problems, does the Ignitor feel hot to the touch?  Does the coil?

I have read of people using a heat gun to warm up a coil, while testing.  Same is true for the condenser, which you are not using currently.

Probably not much help, but I am sorry you are having this trouble and I wish I had more to offer.

You never know.

The wire on the coil never has fit very well for some reason...it always wants to slip off. I tried to modify it to grip tighter but not sure if it is the best solution. The old coil (Bosch red) never had a problem.

When I got the car it was Bosch red, points, condensor, and ceramic resistor.

Yes, the ignitor definitely feels very hot to the touch, coil also.

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

Totally stupid question but where do you buy the NGK BP6ES?

My local parts store doesn't have them and has sold me three different sets they said were NGK BP6ES and which turned out to be not right for one reason or the other.

Amazon says they don't fit my car for some reason.

Feel free to send a link...

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

have you tried to install points, condenser, cap and rotor, all Bosch.

also use a known good coil and ballast resistor.all that electronic 

stuff may be good but the parts i have mentioned always work at

least to rule out failed electronics.

BP6ES for regular, good running motors

BP5ES for oil burners.

they always work and they fit properly.

if you have found a seller just buy from them.

stone02

Edited by stone02

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

The magic number I needed to order the NGK BP6ES is 7333.  That is the number the parts places around here know it by.  When I asked for the BP6ES they stared at the computer and said "oh yeah NGK 7333 is what you want".  

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-130849-Spark-Plug-Pack/dp/B000C5M2JU

Keep on keepin' on.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I think I may try the one step hotter plugs, the BP5ES and see if that helps any.

I am replacing the HotSpark coil with a Blue Beru tonight to see if that makes a difference.

Then I will put the old set of BP6ES plugs on a try a local drive. Wish me luck.

It should say something that I sold the '73 914 2.0 but kept this car...even though the 914 ran well.

This may sound simplistic but have you replaced the full set of ignition wires? I had some vexing problems that were similar and it was bad wires. Not obviously bad on inspection but bad oxidation inside, worse when hot. It's a cheap fix if so.

Henry

'72 2002 tii

Ordered set of 8mm wires from RogersTii, along with cap, rotor, and points. Also ordered NGK BP5ES from Amazon, as current plugs show signs of fouling/slight oil...hoping the hotter plug may help with that.

Will be installing rotor and coil first.

Then plug wires.

Will see how it runs.

Then will be the plugs.

Then coil.

Then, if I need to, points and resistor.

If it doesn't run well after all this, then I really don't know.

Be careful when buying plugs from the local auto parts stores.  The guy at Advance Auto swore up and down that "the computer says this is the correct plug for your car".   My car seems to run better with the (proper) NGK plugs.

Top one is one from Amazon.com.

Middle one is from Advance Auto (bleh)

Bottom one is old Bosch

050D1CDE-63E7-4055-BE3C-24F96C1F8DAB_zps

8362C280-9D61-47D3-A983-94ED2764EF63_zps

I chased my tail trying to get my car running better - turned out the plug wires were faulty.  I replaced them with a set of Beru wires from LaJolla Independent and the missing problem went away.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Put in the correct BP5ES plugs from Amazon

Prior inspections of "correct" plugs have shown me the same thing yours did. Advanced auto has sold me the incorrect plug at least three times, but that is probably my fault.

I went one step hotter to cure a sometime starting issue and also because of plug fouling from a small bit of oil on plugs.

The platinum plugs I had put in previously were burnt and the electrodes were smaller than when new. the gap was also way too wide, probably .40

I gapped the BP5ES at .24-.26 and the engine started right up, easily. 

Settled into a nice cold and also warm idle

I still have some idle hunting and surging when not totally warm...after the cold start cycle is over but before the car is totally warm. It goes away after that.

Took car on small test drive, it drove well, with good idle, smoother idle, and good power on a good second gear pull.

So far I am happy.

I will change out the wires when I get them, to see if I can eliminate the sometimes miss that I seem to get, which makes the engine shake a bit.  How much does the engine shake in a Tii which is running properly? Like my old Miata? Or is it a bit lumpy...?

Anyway, so far so good, but usually problems crop up after 100 miles are on the car...so we'll see.

To anyone with a Tii though, I would say get the NON-RESISTOR BP6ES or BP5ES from Amazon...

Good to hear.  If you have a non-stock coil (I think you do), maybe look at the gap they recommend.  You have it at stock gap now...my understanding is if you have a non-stock ignition, you might have a different target gap you're shooting for.  

Again, good to hear it ran well, even if only for a little while.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I'm going to put the performance 8mm wires from RogersTii on it tomorrow, and maybe put some miles on it Sunday if schedule allows...so we'll see..