• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differential Plugs

ingramlee

Hi everyone,

I will start by saying that I have spent the last 30 mins using the search function with no luck. I plan to change the diff fluids this weekend on my 73 2002 and was wandering if someone could tell me what size torq socket I need to purchase to remove fluid plugs for the differential. Thanks in advance.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Hi everyone,

I will start by saying that I have spent the last 30 mins using the search function with no luck. I plan to change the diff fluids this weekend on my 73 2002 and was wandering if someone could tell me what size torq socket I need to purchase to remove fluid plugs for the differential. Thanks in advance.

Not a Torx. Should be standard Allen-type wrench or socket.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On mine is 10mm hex head. You will need one quart of 75W90 gear oil. I used RED LINE Gear oil and happy with it. JEGS performance parts on 71 south has it in stock.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4&gclid=CKimnb2Fh7oCFQ6f4Aod3HsA7A

updated the link to reflect right lubrication.

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

anyone know if the same 10mm hex head is used on the manual trans plugs?  My '73 tii has them and I would prefer not to use vise-grips as the marks show I did 30 yrs ago... :-)

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

anyone know if the same 10mm hex head is used on the manual trans plugs?  My '73 tii has them and I would prefer not to use vise-grips as the marks show I did 30 yrs ago... :-)

Pretty sure they are the same. Almost certain.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

Well I checked and it is definitely not 10mm and 17mm looks more like the correct size.  I'll go buy one and find out.

The fill plug is really close to the trans tunnel so thanks for the suggestion Buckeye and the reminder that I can't fill it if this plug does not come out!  :)

I'd almost bet my life it is 17mm, unless you got some one-off one. I'd go with buckeye's suggestion. Get a wrench, cut it (or have it cut) and go from there. I bought a set of 10, 14, and 17mm hex sockets from autozone for about $9 but, too bad only one that is any use on ours cars is the 10mm. The 17mm is too long to fit.

My late '73 came from the factory (well, dealer) with a pipe plug in the fill port in the 4-speed transmission; I always used a 10" Crescent (adjustable) wrench to loosen and tighten it.  The 5-speed we installed later had a 17mm hex female plug, so I bought a 15mm-long bolt (I think 8mm has a 17mm head) and tightened a nut on it, then used the combo with a 17mm wrench (open or closed).  The transmission tunnel is so close to the fill plug that a normal 17mm Allen wrench will not fit.

Larry

Edited by layers

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

There were 2 plugs used on the transmission-

one has a hex for a wrench (17? 19? mm)  and the other

is an inhex 17mm.  Get a 17mm bolt and stick the head

in there for a quick check.  When I blocked access to the

plug for the race car, (too clever exhaust, by far)

I sliced off a section of 17mm hex wrench,

welded it to a thin handle, and used that.  Another section goes

into a 'gearwrench' to make it easier to get it in and out faster.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Both my plugs use a 17mm hex.  NAPA did not have a 17mm wrench or "socket".  AutoZone had the 12, 14, 17mm combo pack of 1/2" drive sockets ($13) so I bought that.  Worked great on the drain plug but as everyone knows, there is no room for it to be used on the fill plug.  I used my vice-grips and now have what I prefer to think of as "nicely knurled" edges on the fill plug.  I was careful not to damage the threads that actually mate with the trans housing.  

Going back to the original post by Ingramlee ---> I looked at my diff and it does have some kind of Torx or Star drain plug.  I'll do some more checking tomorrow.