East Coast Transporter

JackF

I found my '72 02 near Boston in Dec of last year.  I'm in NY and I sure as heck didn't want to try driving an unknown entity the 4 hours from MA to NY. Plus, the weather was iffy, and with all the salt on the road, etc, etc....   I didn't know who was a good transport company; looked on-line, found a bunch of supposedly excellent transporters, but the more I checked, the more questionable they became. And I just didn't want my car in a huge trailer with a bunch of other cars.  Then I remembered watching Wayne Carini's show "Chasing Classic Cars" and seeing him use a fellow with a one-car trailer.  So I called Wayne Carini's shop and spoke to a manager there. He recommended a fellow named Jug Clough of Suncook Transport in NH.  Jug's cell phone is 603-210-2629.  I called him, set a date, got a (very) reasonable price. Insured, etc. And reliable!!  My car was delivered within 1 hour of the promised time. I was very pleased.  Jug's enclosed trailer fits one car.  I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.  He doesn't advertise, it's all by word-of-mouth recommendations. Plus, he's a really nice guy.  I doubt that CT to NC would be a problem for him.

Good luck,

Bob

Not hauling any longer and really not sure who to recommend to you Jack. However, you are on the right track with your requirements. The most important thing is their insurance and the sending and receiving inspections sheet. Ensure you or your agent inspect the car and every nick is noted at the receiving end that was not on the inspection sheet at the sending end. The shipper should pay for every "new"nick. You want your car on the top if it is an elevator box. It is surprising what falls out of cars on the top to those on the bottom, wrenches, bolts, antifreeze, oil unknown whatever.

Most drivers get in and out of cars through the drivers' side window. Most cars are too wide to open doors so inspect that part of the car and the seat really good to. I carried a large towel with me that protected the window sill and the seat.

Inspect the area where they tie it down. We used slings through the wheels and never scratched a wheel. Other tie down systems are not as kind to frames, wheels, etc.

Note the mileage, sent and received. Some cars are joy rided along the way.

Sorry, for the topic hijack.

Bill Williams, please give me a cell call,

Hello Jack!  Love your Turbo.  I'll finish my clone, some day.  I'll always remember you spending lots of your time chatting with me at Vintage, when it was at Shelton Vineyards.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

Just a note of caution, when you deal with a "broker" and not directly with a transporter, you get who you get and if all goes well, then a cheap price is good. If there is damage, a late pick-up, a missed delivery time, resolving that between the broker, "not my fault" and the transporter, "talk to the broker" is a nightmare.

Intercity pays Jay and Wayne.

Intercity is good, Ralph Lauren uses them too.  I think Ralph pays Intercity. I was at Paul Russell's shop in Essex, MA, and Intercity was loading up a trailer load of cars at Paul's to take to Ralph. The cars were incredible, no surprise. I think this load was headed to his place in Greenwich, CT.

I spoke with Ray Korman about this the other day and his information on using brokers mimics yours exactly, Bill. I don't want to overpay, but the car is in CT, It is going to NC and I am in CA. To triangular! It has to be smooth and the car has to arrive in the pristine condition it is leaving SCR in. As always, much obliged for the suggestions.

Archived