Paint Info- Colorado #002

coolwnc

The color mixes these days are usually a far cry from original. The best shops start with mixing colors to code and then adjust to match the best existing sections of original they can find in the car. Inside the trunk etc... Also, like John said, how different paints lay down on the metal vary enough that a painter gets used to how what they regularly use sprays and lays down. Painters don't usually like to change what brand and type of paint they usually spray. Also bear in mind that original was single stage (no clear) and modern clear coat paints look different in different lights.

All that said, Glasurit is the original brand of paint on our cars...

About 10 years ago my Dad had his Colorado Tii repainted. The painter liked and used Spies Hecker which is a DuPont owned German brand. Single stage. He doesn't have equipment to mix his own paint and simply ordered it pre mixed to code from his supplier. I can say that it is a decent match, but still looks like it is simply a little richer, brighter than original. If we were restoring the car we would've taken it to a bigger better equipped shop that uses Glasurit and or mixes their own paint.

I highly recommend Glasurit. I had my 2002 painted with it and I'm very happy with the results. Contrary to Tom, I think $155 sounds about right for a quart. But do make sure you know which paint grade you're getting.

4 quarts = 1 gallon and $155 times 4 = $620/gallon

I paid $500/gallon for my repaint, so $620 might even be a little high.

Find a spot in your car that has the original Colorado paint.  Someplace that hasn't been effected by exposure to the weather, road crud, abuse, etc.etc. (the inside of your doors?).  Some Polishing compound on that spot will bring the original color back.  Take that spot to your paint shop and have them analyze that spot with their photo spectrometer.

Perfect match every time.

mac.

Archived