• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete Msd Ignition Install

jdeitch

After reading the instructions that came with tach adapter, I wired the tach to the gray wire, NOT the white wire, from the ignition box and the tach works perfectly. No adapter needed at all! I hope I can return the MSD adapter I bought. I never even took it out of the package.

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really interested in seeing how this performs (Throttle response, easier starts, fuel mileage, etc.).  It's starting to get cold in my area and i'm looking for solutions to make my motor happier and more drivable. B)

Tim

Happy to be here folks....

Stable:

2012 Jeep MW3

1970 Ford Mustang

1969 BMW 1600-2

Nice work! I LIKE photos : )

I recently acquired a different MSD adaptor

"MSD Ignition 8910 - MSD Tach Adapter - Points or Amplifier and Magnetic Pickup"

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8910/10002/-1?parentProductId=747883

I would gladly let it go for half price, as I have no use for it. Tom

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

I'm really interested in seeing how this performs (Throttle response, easier starts, fuel mileage, etc.). It's starting to get cold in my area and i'm looking for solutions to make my motor happier and more drivable. B)

All of that AND a bag of chips. I'm still getting the carbs dialed in (I did a dual carb conversion and 292 cam install with the MSD install) but I can tell you all is well. Crisper throttle response. Smoother idle. Easy starts. I just did 1,000 mile trip to the SoCal Vintage meet without issue. I will report mileage numbers when I get everything dialed in.

I did back the timing down a bit. It was set at 35 degrees but I backed it off a hair on the trip. It's probably about 33-32 now.

Edited by jdeitch

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been an update on the improved gas mileage calculations?

Unfortunately not. I drove the car about 1000 miles round trip to the Vintage SoCal meet then left on Military orders shortly there after. The car's odometer does not function either, so empirical data such as MPG is hard to compute. The fuel economy benefits of the upgraded ignition system are likely offset by the larger carburation and MUCH more spirited driving. ;) I can however attest to the fact the car is running much better: Smoother. More power. Revs freely. Sounds better. More of what I had envisioned for my 2002 restoration. Edited by jdeitch

This thread is terrific. I spoke to the MSD rep at SEMA last week, and he said he thought either the MSD VW or possibly the Ford 2.3 4-cyl dizzy could be made to work. Which did you use?  He also said that since I already have a Crane box, there would not be much difference in switching over to the MSD box. Since I have no paperwork for the Crane, I would probably go the whole MSD route that you have done. 

Would you please post the list of parts for this conversion? and approximate costs?  This will help prioritize this mod.

Thanks,

GregJ

'75 Mintgrun "Der Schleimer"

'80 528i "Bob"

'69, '70, and '76 02 parts cars littering the yard

This thread is terrific. I spoke to the MSD rep at SEMA last week, and he said he thought either the MSD VW or possibly the Ford 2.3 4-cyl dizzy could be made to work. Which did you use? He also said that since I already have a Crane box, there would not be much difference in switching over to the MSD box. Since I have no paperwork for the Crane, I would probably go the whole MSD route that you have done.

Would you please post the list of parts for this conversion? and approximate costs? This will help prioritize this mod.

Thanks,

GregJ

'75 Mintgrun "Der Schleimer"

'80 528i "Bob"

'69, '70, and '76 02 parts cars littering the yard

PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call. Also check my other threads for additional info on this, and other mods I've done.