• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrenching License

tim385

Well after spending most of the day going over a recent 02 purchase Ive come to the conclusion that some people should never be allowed to own/use tools with out supervision.

An extension bar is not required for a 6mm nut, backing off a nut 1/2 a turn after you have stripped the thread will not fix it.Using 3 different size nuts on the manifold does not make it unique, imperial into metric does not go .A fuel pump connected to a vacuum line will not draw fuel from anywhere,Brake callipers do really need a pad to work.Hmmmm great day fixing things.....and lots of surprises.

What have you found on your purchases thats .......odd.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

On the '75 Mintgrun I found a poorly routed and plumbed cheapo electric fuel pump, put there because the PO was told the mechanical pumps were NLA. Also, it has a limited slip diff, because "the stock one made noise"!! Not a bad thing to find. But it also had hideously mounted tweeters screwed and taped onto the rear ashtrays. And a huge hole hacked with a can opener or crazed beaver into the rear seat bulkhead for a 12" subwoofer, which was mounted with sheet metal screws into the rear seat back.

But my favorite was on my '76 Polaris- deep in the nose panel was a Snap-On swivel head 3/8" ratchet- just in case it was needed when the car flipped in the ditch (the only way it would have come out)! I love that ratchet.

I will not start a thread about the odd objects found in our cars during initial archeological investigations. Would get too disgusting too quickly. Don't ask how I know.

GregJ

'75 Mintgrun project

Too many parts cars. Until another finds me.

Early (2760543) tundra 72tii converted to single carb and electric fuel pump in the front.  I did not buy this car but it was gone not too long after I looked at it twice.

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

Missing oil pressure switch!

DSC_0708.jpg

No hood closing mechanism

DSC_0706.jpg

I think the alternator would hit this fan and shroud

DSC_0720.jpg

Missing exhaust support bracket

DSC_0733.jpg

Interesting rear muffler and securing wire

DSC_0739.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

hmm let's see... 6" holes cut in the bottom of the door panels, missing the speakers. poorly cut rectangular hole for what was probably once a radio. The AC box was all DIY wiring with crimp connectors and household wire caps. Actually, that's how most/all of the electrical is in this car.

Previous owner said it had an electric fan installed (looks like it too, because someone crushed the radiator fins!) so he pulled that off and installed a mechanical fan.

ALL emissions equipment is disabled, though still sitting there. smog pump, egr... the egr tube is busted above the bellhousing and it smokes like hell on acceleration, so I get smoked out every time. unused solenoids just sitting there.

AC hoses are just sitting there cut off in the nose.

center support bearing rubber is completely gone and the muffler fell off.

What's worse is he told me he's been driving it to work and up the canyon. Guys, the engine is trashed and points barely worked AND it needed a valve adjustment. Plus he tells me he was a mechanic like me. BS.

essentially, my car is like a teenager's wet dream from 20 years ago.

Edited by mikebontoft

On my own 02... 

Wiring harness was replaced by the PO (who is a nice guy... just not a great mechanic) and the trunk section was spliced together using about 20 of the most poorly crimped connectors ever. 

Every fuel line leaked, and on top of that someone felt that it would be a great idea to ground the alternator to the fuel line. Worn shifter tower supports were "fixed" using an automotive cleaning sponge (instead of the factory foam) and about 10 five inch drywall screws. Whoever installed the AC (which had long since been dumped) cut out a square of insulation from the trans tunnel and then hammered it for clearance. Brake fluid probably hadn't been replaced in 5+ years (which I learned the fun way by overheating the brakes and losing them completely while going for a spirited drive through bear mountain). Glovebox, door cards, and other misc panels were held on with more wood screws also. 

And most annoyingly, the harness is miswired in a way so that the charge indicator light gets +12v even with ignition off, so that wire is cut so as to not drain the battery. I've spent countless hours trying to figure that one out. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

On my own 02... 

Wiring harness was replaced by the PO (who is a nice guy... just not a great mechanic) and the trunk section was spliced together using about 20 of the most poorly crimped connectors ever. 

Every fuel line leaked, and on top of that someone felt that it would be a great idea to ground the alternator to the fuel line. Worn shifter tower supports were "fixed" using an automotive cleaning sponge (instead of the factory foam) and about 10 five inch drywall screws. Whoever installed the AC (which had long since been dumped) cut out a square of insulation from the trans tunnel and then hammered it for clearance. Brake fluid probably hadn't been replaced in 5+ years (which I learned the fun way by overheating the brakes and losing them completely while going for a spirited drive through bear mountain). Glovebox, door cards, and other misc panels were held on with more wood screws also. 

And most annoyingly, the harness is miswired in a way so that the charge indicator light gets +12v even with ignition off, so that wire is cut so as to not drain the battery. I've spent countless hours trying to figure that one out. 

I think a blown alt diode will cause the light to light. I wonder if the alt diodes were wired bass-ackwards, Uncut the wire and then unplug the alt plug and see if the light goes off.

:-p

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I think a blown alt diode will cause the light to light. I wonder if the alt diodes were wired bass-ackwards, Uncut the wire and then unplug the alt plug and see if the light goes off.

:-p

You're right about that, which is what I initially thought the problem was since my first alternator was faulty. New alternator though thats internally regulated, only one wire (blue charge wire) going to the harness. I'll try disconnecting that at some point and see what happens, but I doubt thats it. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...