• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"THE BEST" possible upgrade for '74 and later Cali

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

about that. Carl Nelson / La Jolla Indep. did the work and the short story was that it was a total bitch! I think the M20 swap is probably easier and would still lower your emissions.

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

2nd: you still have to go in front of the referee if you are trying to smog.

I have other questions for you if you are able to go this route as I have a

PNO 76 in perfect shape (just high miles on motor and, no smog stuff) that was impounded

for no registration.

John McA

Guest Anonymous

I found out something that you might think is cool... The only way you can LEGALLY get a square-tail smogged with out the smog bullshit or paying off the referree is to go electronic fuel injection. '84 and '85 318i engines didn't have all that smog equipment on it, just an 02 sensor and a cat. So that's all you need... Put cat on for smogging and take it off every two years; it's easier than putting on and taking the smog stuff. I am doing this, just need a pertronix and headers before I can complete project El-jet.

Keep the revv's in the red,

Elliot G.

Guest Anonymous

for 49 I think you're still gonna need the dreaded air pump/gulp valve.

I never thought of selling as a 49 state car.. Hmm. Naw.

I would do sds fi or m20 first.

Guest Anonymous

If a car can be made to be a "49-state" vehicle, a cast exhaust manifold can be used, altho not as good as a tii manifold I would think it would flow better than a nuke reactor. It also wouldn't have an EGR system, etc. I just don't know what they look for as far as a 49-state car goes. Mine has a sticker on the wheel well that says 49-state emission system.

Guest Anonymous

The Cal car has a thermo reactor instead of cast header. weird. and $$$ I have mine. I just refuse to put it back on and, am running a nice cast header, matched to the exhaust ports.

Guest Anonymous

76_2002p_49.JPG

but its a 49-state vehicle. All the equipment is there, but its not hooked up. What constitutes a 49-state car otherthan the smog equipment and the sticker that shows the emission equipment and routing? Could you just put a sticker on the fender well and set the motor up as a 49-state version? The parts are easier to find.

Guest Anonymous

...I think Elliot is saying to use the EFI from an early

E30 on an M10 motor. I have heard of this, but do

not know how the smog referees would treat

it...Kevin.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.francisscott.com/~bmw2002/gallery/don.htm

"It turned out to be one of the most difficult engine swaps he or I have seen. I have done a couple, a 289 ford V8 in an Austin Healy 3000, (yes I was a stupid college kid), and some odd Chevy car/engine combinations, but nothing like this, so I am glad I didn't try it myself."

Cheers!

John N.

Guest Anonymous

A good upgrade is one that allows you to drive the car legally, so it's kinda important to get it right for the smog insp. I'm going through this right now with my 76 and have learned that if the sticker is missing from the fender well (mine's gone), they are instructed to look for a "working egr". My car runs way clean on the sniffer, yet the smog man told me he had to see an effective egr to pass it. It can all be dis-armed after, but if I don't pass/I don't drive.

Guest Anonymous

He's trying to do some shit with a MAF, which I will get to later, and have a friend who has done it, with NO PROBLEMS. anyways, I don't give a fuck what he says.

Peace,

Elliot

Guest Anonymous

was seeming like an option on my 67 (already exempt, open loop system allowed - with the plus of being able to drive single in the HOV or, diamond lanes during rush hour!)

Guest Anonymous

All cats do is heat up the exhaust going through the pipe and burn unburned gases before they exit the pipe. I believe "they" have improved cat designs over the years and have reduced the back pressure. A friend is REALLY into that kind of thing and gets very low back pressure out of his exhaust set up. Cat included.