Clutch Confusion 74 2002

glemon

I recently posted about my newly purchased, Inka Orange, 74 BMW 2002, the main mechanical issue on which seems to be a stuck clutch.

After soaking the exhaust manifold to downpipe nuts in PB blaster for a week they come off no problem, this is too easy, and of course I am speaking too soon.

I got a new clutch kit off of ebay and it is wrong, LUK brand, looks like about 1/2" too small in diameter both on the clutch and the pressure plate, so an obvious no go.  So......

I am somewhat impatient, so I decided to check into refitting the old clutch, check wear on the disk, OK. check that pressure plate does what it is supposed to do by using a cut down section of 2 x 4" and my own weigh, OK, so it all seems OK and I clean everything up and start putting it back on.

I get resistance early, about 1/4" or more out, when tightening down the pressure plate, and mucho resistance if I try to snug it down all the way, in fact so much that I decided not to snug it down all the way for fear I might break or strip something.

I am wondering if I have the wrong pressure plate or something the plate is a Sachs #MF228, anybody have any Idea if this is correct for a 74 2002?

This would explain why it didn't release, but if anyone has any insight into this before I order another clutch Kit it would be appreciated, thanks, Greg

02's have 2 sizes of  clutch dia.  the old one is 228 mm the other size is 215mm. The disc center hub section is raised and needs to be installed facing the trans. Yes some people can install it backwards which wont allow the pressure plate to bolt down easily if at all. Are you using the plastic spline align tool for the disc.

take pressure plate off.  try running the pressure plate bolts into the flywheel.  there are different length bolts depending on what flywheel you have.   if they are too long, they will bottom out before plate is down.  DO NOT over TQ these bolts.  the spec is pretty low.

PS - sorry you learned ebay lesson.  you should buy 2002 parts from known 2002 vendors.  they know what the right part is.

Edited by mlytle

Good thought on the flywheel bolts, I actually replaced them, I double checked and the replacements are the exact length as the ones I took off, but still worth a check to see if they screw home with the PP off.

Going to bed, will do a couple more checks in the morning, actually ordered a new clutch at the local chain store, they have to ship it in, but they can get it shipped in faster and cheaper than if have it shipped to home, will check it out at the store before I bring it home, another advantage to the local buy.

Good call on the bolts, they are too long (or at least they don't want to screw all the way down), but they are the same length as what was on before, between the bolts and no inspection plate being installed I wonder what else was done wrong, so the plan is to replace with new parts, double check to make sure it is all put back together right, and it should all work.  Do you BMW guys ever use the acronym "DPO"?

Coupla thoughts...the P/N you quoted on the pressure plate you bought " Sachs #MF228" would indicate that it's 228mm in diameter.  All roundie 2002s use a 228mm clutch; onn US spec squarelights only the 74tii's have a 228 mm clutch; the others all use a 215mm clutch. 

That being said, it's quite conceiveable that a PO has swapped out flywheels with an earlier engine so yours now has a 228mm clutch.  However you stated that the clutch you ordered is "a half inch too small" which would imply you got a 215mm clutch (or even a smaller 200mm clutch for a 1600) and you have a 228mm flywheel in the car. 

Did you compare your old clutch side by side with the new one?  They obviously should be the same diameter.  Let us know what you find...

mike

I may not have been too clear, the Sachs MF 228 was on the existing pressure plate on the car when I bought it, the clutch is indeed 228mm or slightly under 9" in diameter, the clutch I got from Ebay I am now thinking may be for the later cars, so the vendor wasn't totally out of the ballpark, it is indeed about 215mm or 8.5", and the clutch tool included fit the splines.  I was wondering if the old pressure plate was right because it didn't want to tighten down all the way, since then have discovered the bolts were too long. 

Anyhow new parts on the way, new bolts purchased today, will try to put the correct parts on the correct way and it should all work.

DPO = D&$% Previous Owner

Edited by glemon