Plastic Side Grills For Roundies? Help?

dompamar

Maybe the car has been in a front end accident and the nose was replaced with sheet metal from a later 74-76? Would explain why you can't find "plastic grills" for your 73 round tail car. Can you post a picture of the front end of your car?

Thanks for the replies. I know that the earlier years had the metal side grills but I thought I saw some photos of some with black plastic ones. Perhaps they were just painted. The only reason I ask is because my original grills have seen better days and was considering getting some black ones. But I will probably just spend some time getting mine cleaned up. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. I know that the earlier years had the metal side grills but I thought I saw some photos of some with black plastic ones. Perhaps they were just painted. The only reason I ask is because my original grills have seen better days and was considering getting some black ones. But I will probably just spend some time getting mine cleaned up. Thanks again.

Just to be clear -- and sorry if you already know this -- 1600-2's and 1602's had all-silver, anodized aluminum grilles. But 2002's, and all cabriolets, had blacked-out grille slats; the rims and a couple slats on each side grille remained silver anodized aluminum. The blacking out was accomplished on early models with black paint; it was accomplished on later round taillight cars with black slat covers. The side grilles each have 9 horizontal slats. The bottom-most 3 were blacked out, the 4th from the bottom was left silver, the 5th and 6th from the bottom were blacked out, the 7th from the bottom was left silver, and the top-most 2 were blacked out.

Steve

Archived