122 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a 1968 2002 (bought it new and still have it) that came from the dealer with a Continental AM radio.

I replaced it a couple of years ago with a blaupunkt  Bavaria.  A couple of questions;  Would this radio be correct for a 1968 2002?   What do the letters L  K  U  etc on the buttons mean?

Thank you.

(edited)

For Becker units, a letter prefix before the serial number also signifies the year of manufacture (I've detailed this previously on another thread).

G = 1971

Regards,

Steve

Weird. My car is a 76'. You learn something new every day I suppose.

Does anyone know if they used older radios in newer cars?

Edited by Nesset127

(edited)
On 10/31/2013 at 9:57 AM, Nesset127 said:

Weird. My car is a 76'. You learn something new every day I suppose.

Does anyone know if they used older radios in newer cars?

Remember first that 2002 radios were not factory installed.  They were installed by dealers, by stereo shops, by owners, and, sometimes, not at all!

I've owned my '76 since it was new. By '79, it was on its 3rd (4th?) radio. Why? A Becker or Blaupunkt in a BMW, in a major city, in the '70's, was not a "lasting" thing. My '76 was broken into at least 6 times in the '70's, in Philadelphia. And it was garaged! So a lot happens to a car over the course of 37 years, even if it's a one-owner.

Your '71 Becker appears to have spent a long time in a very damp place, probably not in a car. The rust on the case is certainly not typical of a radio that was in a car, unless the car was open to the weather.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)
On 10/31/2013 at 9:26 AM, ritme said:

I have a 1968 2002 (bought it new and still have it) that came from the dealer with a Continental AM radio.

I replaced it a couple of years ago with a blaupunkt Bavaria. A couple of questions; Would this radio be correct for a 1968 2002? What do the letters L K U etc on the buttons mean?

Thank you.

L = long wave

M = AM

K = short wave

U = FM

In the early '70's, I had a Blaupunkt in an old Mercedes with LMKU capability. I could find a few short-wave transmissions but no long-wave transmissions. I have no clue what is available on those bands today. The use of LMKU, or some subset of that group, simply means it's a European market -- or, at least, non-U.S. -- radio.

I'm not certain what a Blaupunkt Bavaria is! Could it be mid-to-late '70's? Does it have a manufacturer's label? Photo? To make matters more confusing, Becker and Blaupunkt have a history of using the same radio names for multiple models, some across multiple decades!

The single most common 2002 radio is perhaps the Blaupunkt Frankfurt, but anything was possible. Since radios were not factory-installed, dealer preferences (based on "relationships" with manufacturers and, later, BMW NA) and personal preferences (including no radio at all) came into play. Visually, most pre-1980 radios are sufficiently close in aesthetic spirit to the 2002 era that it shouldn't be a problem, unless you want to nail the year precisely!

Regards,

Steve

EDIT on 11-4-13: Oops! There is a Blaupunkt Bavaria model shown in this very thread: post #13, courtesy of Jim Gerock. It's installed in a 1502 shown in a late brochure. I recall that this brochure appears elsewhere on the forum and a PDF version is available somewhere. I believe the date of the brochure is shown on that PDF version.

Edited by Conserv

Steve,

I think the Blaupunkt Bavaria is a Frankfurt, it has the black plastic nose piece but says Bavaria on the face. The Saab Frankfurt could have been installed by Vasek Polak, he sold Saabs across the street from his BMW dealership where I bought my 74 2002. He had a Grundig radio they would have installed in my 2002 but I couldn't afford a radio or AC then. And I also lost a few radios from my 02 in the 70s, the first was a Pioneer 4+4 eight track player, it was a beauty.

(edited)
On 10/31/2013 at 1:04 PM, HBChris said:

Steve,

I think the Blaupunkt Bavaria is a Frankfurt, it has the black plastic nose piece but says Bavaria on the face. The Saab Frankfurt could have been installed by Vasek Polak, he sold Saabs across the street from his BMW dealership where I bought my 74 2002. He had a Grundig radio they would have installed in my 2002 but I couldn't afford a radio or AC then. And I also lost a few radios from my 02 in the 70s, the first was a Pioneer 4+4 eight track player, it was a beauty.

Chris,

I am sorry to hear about your Pioneer with 8-track: I know how you loved it! I had a rockin' 8-track in a '73 Audi 100LS and I can't listen to the Stones without thinking about that car and that 8-track!

And I didn't realize that Vasek Polak also had a Saab dealership. So was Blaupunkt's Bavaria model part of the BMW-ification that happened to Blaupunkts after BMW NA was created in 1975 and they began to move toward "BMW-labelled" radios? At minimum, I recall early e21's with Blaupunkts that also bore the BMW roundel on their faces.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

Steve,

My only hesitation in saying, "Pull the trigger, convert it to an article!" is that the thread is continuing to get regular traffic and many people -- I'm looking at myself now -- don't feel as free in contributing to articles as they might in contributing to "some old thread." Could we leave it as a forum thread for another month or two and then see where things stand?

I'm still hoping for some more photos! (Tom, have you got any photos of classic 2002 Blaupunkts? I'll bet you do!)

But if you think we're clogging up the works by keeping it in the forum, I promise I won't harbor any ill will if you feel you need to move it!

Thanks for all you do for this community!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I can do that, but everyone is allowed to add or modify articles. I am afraid in 2 or 3 months this will be forgotten and will fall off.  Just like many other threads.  But i'll leave it up to you.  

steve k.

This is an interesting topic....and one that is useful to give a better idea of what radios were usually used and and when.  I need to look at it closer to see if any of the radios I have would be worthwhile to take pictures of.  I'd agree that it's worth making into an article at some point as it has a lot of useful reference info that isn't easily found elsewhere.

Thanks!

vince

(edited)
On 10/31/2013 at 2:28 PM, steve k. said:

I can do that, but everyone is allowed to add or modify articles. I am afraid in 2 or 3 months this will be forgotten and will fall off.  Just like many other threads.  But i'll leave it up to you.  

steve k.

Steve,

If you turn this into an article, does it lose all the entries but for the original post?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

When I bought my '02 in January 1976, I opted for a no-frills dealer installed AM radio with 5 pushbuttons.  It's a Blaupunkt, complete with the blue dot on the front face, stamped Made in Taiwan, with a sticker indicating it's a Model 1071 and stamped as follows: S/N 341739.  Clearly not one of the fancier "city" radios offered by Blaupunkt.   It came with the On/Off/volume and tuning knobs, with the somewhat reflective disks and rubber surrounds, which matched the four knobs on the dash which was/is nice and made the radio specific to the '02 IMO.

Can you post a photo of the face and the sticker?

Thanks,

Steve

(edited)

And I didn't realize that Vasek Polak also had a Saab dealership. So was Blaupunkt's Bavaria model part of the BMW-ification that happened to Blaupunkts after BMW NA was created in 1975 and they began to move toward "BMW-labelled" radios? At minimum, I recall early e21's with Blaupunkts that also bore the BMW roundel on their faces.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Steve, I think you are correct, BMWNA starting branding the radios. The VP Saab dealership occupied the original Porsche storefront at 356 Pacific Coast Highway in Manhattan Beach (get the 356 inference?) where his dealership all began. The Porsches moved down the street to Hermosa Beach and he moved the BMWs across the street also to Hermosa Beach. That left the Saabs at the original location. The VP Manhattan Beach Porsche and BMW license plate frames are very rare and very expensive.

Chris

Edited by HBChris

I have a Blaupunkt Coburg.  My car is euro spec.  Most interesting feature is that it has a footswitch that acts as a "seek" trigger.  Hitting the footswitch changes the radio station - it goes to the next station.  Good for the autobahn...no looking down.  

If I ever take my console apart, I will give you the numbers.

Scott

post-34981-0-73260600-1383600145_thumb.j

post-34981-0-78428300-1383600194_thumb.j

Anybody know where I can get a face plate for this radio? I currently have it in a Behr A/C console.

1971 Blaupunkt Mono US.JPG