123 posts / 21802 viewsLast Reply

Ah yes, thattt. Yes they're Blaupunkts. It was the time of many car companies brand imaging car radios. I've seen Blaupunkts with VW, Ford (of Europe), Opel, Porsche and many others names on them....

One on eBay right now with great pics of front and paper tag. Couldn't seem to snag the link so maybe someone else can search for it and post.

Some Blaupunkts were made in Taiwan and are marked as such and don't have the paper labels. This a mono unit and these have a very small case, perfect for the e9, also early 70s vintage. The AM/FM indicator is in the center of the scale but can't be seen in my pic.

post-35489-0-23786600-1378515601_thumb.j

When I bought my '02 in January 1976, I opted for a no-frills dealer installed AM radio with 5 pushbuttons.  It's a Blaupunkt, complete with the blue dot on the front face, stamped Made in Taiwan, with a sticker indicating it's a Model 1071 and stamped as follows: S/N 341739.  Clearly not one of the fancier "city" radios offered by Blaupunkt.   It came with the On/Off/volume and tuning knobs, with the somewhat reflective disks and rubber surrounds, which matched the four knobs on the dash which was/is nice and made the radio specific to the '02 IMO.

Edited by YoungWilliaM

Tom,

The factory accessories manuals were used worldwide, same for parts books, so all items were not available in the US as Hoffman decided to a large extent what we got. Your pamphlet also has French translation as an example. In 74 I think Vasek Polak was offering a Grundig radio for my new 2002.

Great thread.

My Tii is a 1973 model, made in late 1972, but the radio that came with it (Blaupunkt Frankfurt 7632640) is from 73.

I am still looking for this exact model to replace the horrible "Realistic" 1984 radio in the car. Any leads are welcome.

On 9/8/2013 at 7:47 PM, achman said:

Great thread.

My Tii is a 1973 model, made in late 1972, but the radio that came with it (Blaupunkt Frankfurt 7632640) is from 73.

I am still looking for this exact model to replace the horrible "Realistic" 1984 radio in the car. Any leads are welcome.

So your car's original radio was a '72 model (indicated by the "2" in 7632...) but it certainly could have been manufactured in '73: a '73-manufactured example would have a serial number beginning with "E" wheras a '72-manufactured example would have a serial number beginning with "D". it's not clear to me when Blaupunkt's model years began or ended or even though many models appear to have been produced for 2, 3, or more years.

These radios do appear on the Early911Registry and TheSamba, but they disappear very quickly. Over the course of 6 months or so, however, I probably see a full range of 2002-era Blaupunkts on eBay. I would recommend you assiduously watch eBay, and this forum, and you should be able to find a model 7632640 or 7633640. You may also find other Blaupunkt models manufactured in '72 or '73 (besides a '640'), which would be appropriate for your '73.

Good luck with your search,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Here's a mono unit from 1971.  'Blaupunkt' on the right side of the dial

7631 627 000  C 0206054

post-33357-0-23821100-1378953024_thumb.j

post-33357-0-49035600-1378953035_thumb.j

Excellent! If I had to vote, I'd say that the monaural Frankfurt is THE most common radio for '02s.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve,

On my stereo Frankfurt, what is the function of the push/pull switch on the left which controls volume? Also the lever behind it,s it the tone control? Thanks,

Chris

Just had mine rebuilt at Radioman in San Diego, $250.

Steve,

On my stereo Frankfurt, what is the function of the push/pull switch on the left which controls volume? Also the lever behind it,s it the tone control? Thanks,

Chris

Just had mine rebuilt at Radioman in San Diego, $250.

As to the lever behind the left-hand volume control, I've only ever seen that used as a tone control, as you suggest. The push-pull switch is perhaps a sensitivity control for FM reception, rejecting weaker FM signals (when in the "local" mode) to improve reception in more densely-populated (and broadcast-laden) areas. On the 1975 unit pictured in my original post, there is a tiny push-pull switch to the left of the left-most pushbutton that fulfills this function; that independent button doesn't appear on earlier models.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

So your car's original radio was a '72 model (763'2') but it certainly could have been manufactured in '73: it's not clear to me when Blaupunkt's model years began or ended or even if they were one year long (or sometimes longer or shorter). These radios do appear on the Early911Registry and TheSamba, but they disappear very quickly. Over the course of 6 months or so, however, I probably see a full range of 2002-era Blaupunkts on eBay. I would recommend you assiduously watch eBay, and this forum, and you should be able to find a model 7632640 or 7633640. You may also find other Blaupunkt models manufactured in '72 or '73 (besides a '640'), which would be appropriate for your '73.

Good luck with your search,

Steve

Thanks for the info. I have the original warranty card and manual for the Blaupunkt that was in the car when new, and it was indeed a Blaupunkt Frankfurt 7632640. The car is rather original otherwise, and I am trying to be a good steward and keep it that way as much as possible, within reason.  There was one on Ebay last month that was absolutely correct, I bid high, but was outbid with 3 seconds remaining...by a LOT.

thanks