• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When idling or at low revs, and regardless of whether the sunroof is open, the roof of my car rattles terribly. It only stops when I press against the roof near the dome light. Has anyone had this problem? I considered sticking some sort of shim in there but then thought it would come loose, get stuck back there, or interfere with the operation of the sunroof. Thanks. 

'74 Amazonasgrun S/R

The sunroof has several parts that could make noises - especially if not installed correctly by a PO or if the hardware is loose or missing.

There is a fiberboard piece that clips into the roof and secures the interior light. Your light may have come loose - or the board is broken hence when you push up on this area, the rattle stops.

There are (2) front slider guides with nylon/rubber inserts that slide in the rails.  If the little inserts are worn out or missing, the sunroof insert may rattle.

These are the (2) types I have found.  I have found them not to be interchangable (in my 69 2002).

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7488-1.jpg

At the rear of the sunroof insert, the cables have a horizontal rod (or pin) that is captured by a swinging metal piece that holds the roof tight when in the closed position.  If the horizontal pin is under (below) the swinging metal piece, the roof will not be held tight.

This is incorrect.

IMG_7458.jpg

This is correct.

IMG_7546.jpg

Another shot when the roof is in the completely closed position.

IMG_7547.jpg

At the rear of the roof, there are (2) black plastic fork pieces with a center pin that locates and holds the sunroof rails in place.  When the sunroof assembly is installed, it can miss and just sit on the forked piece especially if the black fork pieces are left in the roof and not pre-installed in the rails.

This is incorrect.

IMG_7465.jpg

Picture showing the fork piece inserted into the end of one rail.

IMG_7542.jpg

Open your roof about 1/3, pop off the headliner insert, slide it backward a little so you can see the metal sunroof "cassette" and inspect the assemblies.  

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Ruby Red 73tii built 5/30/73 "Celeste"

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wow. This is why I love this board.  

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I suspect that the fiberboard piece you mentioned that holds the light in place is to blame. Will have a look the next time I have access to the car and will report back. 

'74 Amazonasgrun S/R

Unfortunately, the fiberboard piece is hidden above the headliner.  You would have to peel back the headliner to see what is going on.

I'd experiment by tapping in several places when the roof is open and closed to pinpoint the noise source.

Jim Gerock

Ruby Red 73tii built 5/30/73 "Celeste"

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"